History 103 – Quiz #2 – Chapter 3, 4, 5
Name _Cara Butler_____________ Date ___9/16/2012__________________
Essay Questions – All answers are worth 10 points. Two or three sentences in proper format should be sufficient. Be sure to answer all parts of the question.
1. Where and why did Spain establish colonies in North America, and how did native peoples resist colonization? Spain established colonies in Central America, the Caribbean islands, and Mexico to increase their wealth and power. The native people resisted colonization by trying to fight back.
2. How did the Chesapeake colonies support the aims of British mercantilism? The Chesapeake colonies supported British mercantilism with their tobacco crops and the Bay’s rich fisheries. These served as highly valuable to Britain.
3. Why did slavery replace servitude as the dominant labor system in Virginia and Maryland? Through most of the 17th century, the Black population was small. Sometime after 1680, buying a slave for their lifetime was a greater investment than paying for an indentured servant. Lastly, the number of Africans bought by British dealers was up to 20,000 per year. Thus, this transition led slavery to replace servitude.
4. What caused the Beaver Wars and how did the French respond? The Beaver Wars was caused by a series of conflicts fought in 17th century in eastern North America. The French responded by participating in a war with them.
5. Who settled the earliest New England colonies, and why? The Puritans settled the earliest in New England colonies for religious freedom.
6. In what ways were the Mid-Atlantic colonies more diverse than the other colonies of the period? Mid-Atlantic colonies are more diverse because they have many different cultures living in that area. Moreover, diverse groups settled leaving a variety of religions or national origin.
7. Why did Spain establish colonies in Texas and California, and what role did...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document