Chapter 1 Solutions
Answers to the Chapter 1 Review Questions
1. Your boss drops by your office in a hurry to ask you to attend a meeting at 10:30 on Friday morning and you can’t find a pen to make a note as a reminder. What Linux command can you use to make a quick note to store in a file called Meeting? Answer: b. cat > Meeting
2. Before you make the note in Question 1, you decide to determine Friday’s date, so that you can include it in your note. What Linux command can you use to quickly determine the Friday’s date? Answer: a. cal
3. While you are typing a command, you misspell the name of a file you want to specify with the command. Which of the following command line key combinations enables you to go back and fix your error? Answer: a. Ctrl+b
4. You haven’t changed your user account password for several months and now decide to create a new password. Which of the following commands should you use? Answer: d. passwd
5. You have forgotten the purpose of the -n option in the cat command. Which of the following can you enter at the Linux command line to find out what the -n option does when used with cat? Answer: c. man cat
6. Which of the following is the UNIX distribution originally developed through AT&T Bell Labs? Answer: d. System V
7. Which shell is used by Linux as the default command interpreter? Answer: a. Bash shell
8. You need to type in a line of text to the end of a file called Annual_Report. Which of the following commands enables you to add the text? Answer: c. cat >> Annual_Report
9. SSH can be used to ___________________.
Answer: b. log in remotely to another computer on a network
10. This is your first day on the job as a Linux server administrator and your boss gives you the password for root. What is root? Answer: d. the administrative account that has complete access to a UNIX/Linux system...