Criminology is the systematic study of criminals.
Criminals are people who commit crimes.
Criminologists are people who study criminology.
The study deals with:
▪ Study of crimes
▪ nature of crimes
▪ causes of crimes
▪ detection of crimes
▪ prevention of crimes
|Contents | | [hide] | |1 Definitions | |2 Causes of Crime | |3 Causation of Crime | |4 Sociological Theory of Crime | |5 Tentative Theory of Crime | |6 Crime and Economic Conditions | |7 Organized Crime | |8 White Collar Crime | |9 Cyber Crimes | |10 Sexual Offenders | |11 Alcoholism, Drug Addiction and Crime | |12 Related Topics | |13 Related Acts |
▪ Criminology is the science of crime in all aspects.
▪ Edwin H Sutherland
▪ D R Cressey: Criminology is the body of knowledge regarding crime as a social phenomenon. ▪ Elliot M A Merill
▪ D R Taft
▪ Webster Dictionary
▪ Jock Young formulated six dichotomies to understand criminal behavior: ▪ Individual's behavior: Free vs Determinism
▪ Functioning of social order: Consensus vs Coercion
▪ Definition of Crime: Legal vs Social
▪ Extent and Distribution of crime: Limited vs Extensive ▪ Causes of crime: Individual vs Social
▪ Policy towards criminals: Punishment vs Treatment
Causes of Crime