The process by which the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell divides to produce two cells is called * cytokinesis.
Eukaryotic cells spend most of their cell cycle in which phase? * interphase
Chromatin, the stuff chromosomes are made of, is made up of what? * protein and DNA
Which of the following occurs during interphase?
* cell growth and duplication of the chromosomes
The cell has a very narrow middle separating two bulging ends. It sort of looks like the number 8! Then you realize, this is a cell
* Undergoing cytokinesis.
During which phase of mitosis do the chromosomes line up on a plane located equidistant * Metaphase
Which one of the following does not occur during mitotic anaphase? * The chromatid DNA replicates.
* Contain nitrogenous bases.
* Contain sugar molecules.
* Contain phosphate groups.
* Can be linked together to form nucleic acids.
* All of the choices are correct.
DNA differs from RNA because DNA
* contains thymine in place of uracil
Genetic information is encoded in the
* sequence of nucleotides in DNA
The transfer of genetic information from DNA to RNA is called * Transcription
We would expect that a 36-nucleotide sequence will direct the production of a polypeptide that consists of
* 12 amino acids
The directions for each amino acid in a polypeptide are indicated by a codon that consists of __________ nucleotide(s) in an RNA molecule.
A base substitution mutation in a gene sometimes does not result in a different protein. Which of the following factors could account for this?
* some amino acids are produced from more than one codon
Translation consists of which of the following?
* the conversion of genetic information from the language of nucleic acids to the language of proteins
What type of bonds hold the two strands of a DNA double helix together? * Hydrogen
Which nucleotides (abbreviated by their...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document