1) What is water pollution?
2) What causes water pollution?
3) Name the 2 sources of pollution
4) What are the different types of water pollution?
5) How can water pollution be prevented?
6) Pollution can be: MICROBIOLOGICAL, CHEMICAL, SUSPENDED MATTER, NUTRIENTS, OXYGEN-DEPLETING SUBSTANCES.
Give one real example for each cse with a brief explanation.
1) 1- Water pollution is the contamination of water bodies, very often by human activities.
2- Water pollution is caused by:
• Industrial waste
•Sewage and waste water
•Accidental oil leakage
•Burning of fossil fuels
•Leakage from sewer lines
•Chemical fertilizers and pesticides
•Leakage from thr landfills
•Underground storage leakage
3) Point-source pollutants in surface water and groundwater are usually found in a plume that has the highest concentrations of the pollutant nearest the source (such as the end of a pipe or an underground injection system) and diminishing concentrations farther away from the source. The various types of point-source pollutants found in waters are as varied as the types of business, industry, agricultural, and urban sources that produce them.
If the facility or operator does not handle, store and disposed of the raw materials and wastes properly, these pollutants could end up in the water supply. This may occur through discharges at the end of a pipe to surface water, discharges on the ground that move through the ground with infiltrating rainwater, or direct discharges beneath the ground surface.
Nonpoint-source pollution occurs as water moves across the land or through the ground and picks up natural and human-made pollutants, which can then be deposited in lakes, rivers, wetlands, coastal waters, and even groundwater. The water