Most people think that robots are mechanical people of the future. Use the website below to investigate our history with robotics and what our future might look like.
• History of Robotics handout • Computer with Internet access • Pencil Procedure
Go to the following website and read through the sections, answering the questions below. http://www.thetech.org/exhibits/online/robotics/universal/index.html Feel free to watch any of the videos on the website while reading through the pages. 1. List five tasks that robots can currently perform:
Five tasks that robots can perform are work, play, explore, move, and live.
2. Approximately how long have we been using robots?
We have been using robots for approximately 50 years.
3. It is thought that Homer, the ancient Greek poet, described the first metallic helpers for which Greek god?
Homer described the first metallic helpers for the Greek god Hephaestus. 4. When did Leonardo da Vinci draw plans for a mechanical man?
Leonardo da Vinci made plans for a mechanical man in 1945.
5. What events spurred the development of robots in the 1950s and 60s?
Events that spurred the development of robots were the inventions of transistors and integrated circuits.
6. What was the first product of robotic manufacturing in 1959?
The first product of robotic manufacturing was a computer-controlled milling machine.
7. What two characteristics differentiate a robot from a machine?
Robots are controlled electronically while machines are operated mechanically. Also a machine is programmed while a robot can make decisions due to certain factors.
8. When, where, and what was the first use of the word robot?
The first use of the word robot was