Teen suicide is “the third-leading cause of death for young people age 15 to 24. (American Psychological Association) According to the research of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC), nearly 1,700 teenagers in the US commit suicide annually because emotional, social and family pressures. Teenagers are in the gray area between childhood and adulthood, and on the way to find out their own sexual identity and relationships with others. Also, they are under great pressure to be independence and responsible for their lives. Suicidal risk factors among teens are:
* Family crisis- family loss, parents separation or divorce * Psychological problems- anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, insomnia, or alcohol/drug use. * Family history of depression or suicide
* Being victims of bullying
* A previous suicide attempt
* Feelings of isolation from others, family or peers; hopelessness. * Emotional, physical, or sexual abuse.
Teen suicide is preventable, so being aware of the warning signs is important. (American Psychological Association)
* Taking about Dying – any mention of dying, shooting oneself, or other types of self harm
*Recent Loss – through death, divorce, broken relationship, loss of interest in friends and hobbies. *Change in personality – sad, withdrawn, irritable, anxious, tired, or indecisive. *Change in sleep Patterns – Change in Eating Patterns – insomnia, early waking or oversleeping, nightmares. *Change in Eating Habits – loss of appetite and weight, or overeating. *Low Self Esteem - Feeling worthless, shame, overwhelming guilt, self-hatred. Indication of a suicidal plan((Teen Suicide):
*Actually says about committing suicide.
*Giving away or throwing away favorite belongings.
* Shows signs of extreme cheerfulness following periods of depression. * Creates suicide notes....
References: 1. New Jersey Regional Crisis Hotline: http://www.njit.edu/counseling/gethelp/crisis.php
2. New Jersey’s Caring and Crisis Hotline, Contact We Care:
3. Teen Suicide: http://www.teensuicide.us/articles2.htm
4. About Teen Suicide. Kids Health.
5. Teen Suicide is Preventable. American Psychological Association.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document