Date due: __TBD_______________________
1. How does The Allegory of the Cave illustrate Plato’s view of the physical world? 2. According to Plato, how can we find the “true essence” of an object? 3. In this parable, how is the human soul described?
4. How does the allegory describe the process of acquiring knowledge? 5. After reading this allegory, how do you think Plato would describe “happiness?” Page 2 of 2 6. Who are the “people chained in the cave?”
7. According to The Allegory of the Cave, how should the process of education be approached? 8. According to The Allegory of the Cave, what is the main task of the philosopher? 9. Who are the “guardians” or philosopher-kings?
10. Why should philosopher-kings rule?
11. How does Plato’s The Allegory of the Cave relate to science and scientific research? 12. Describe how the people in the cave are situated in Plato's parable. Why can't they move their legs or necks to take a look around? What is the only thing they are capable of seeing? What is their only source of light? 14. What do these prisoners trapped in the cavern believe is real? 15. How do the prisoners react when they first see sunlight? 16. Why will the prisoner need time to adjust to the world outside the cave? 17. According to Plato, how would the people in the cave react to an escapee who tried to explain the truth to them, or who came down and broke their chains to set them free? 18. What is the name of the main speaker in this tale according to the introductory notes? Is it Plato? 19. What is the name of the person Plato addresses?
20. Why, in the concluding paragraph, does Plato say it is impossible for professors of education to put knowledge in the soul which was not there before? 21. In your opinion, why has Plato written this allegory?
22. Explain how Plato creates the parable of the cave in a way that makes it connect with Socrates, Plato's former teacher. 23. Write a hundred word summary.
24. Sequence chain.