Combine the sentences in each group below into one sentence, using subordination and coordination to eliminate repetition and redundancy so that the content is expressed clearly and concisely. Please place your completed worksheet in the appropriate dropbox.
1. The Globe Theatre was rebuilt.
The new building was located in a disreputable borough. This borough was officially named The Clink
It was famous for its profusion of brothels.
It also had many tenements, theatres, and prisons.
The Globe Theatre was rebuilt in a disreputable borough named The Clink, known for its profusion of brothels, tenements, theatres, and prisons.
2. A tiny beetle lay dead in your path, once living, rejoicing in the sun, a creature struggling for existence knowing fear and pain like you.
3. Until fully grown, male giraffes live in bachelor herds, are 17 to 19 ft tall, and weigh a ton or more at age 7.
4. Oxford University scientist J.B. Gurdon
inserted nuclei from human cancer cells into immature frog eggs, responding so dramatically they swelled almost
5. Sonar eyeglasses are designed to help blind people.
These glasses have three disks mounted in the bridge.
The disks send and receive ultrasound.
Ultrasound is a sound pitched extremely high.
It is pitched so high that it cannot be heard.
Designed for blind people, sonar eyeglasses have
Three disks mounted on the bridge sending and receiving
Ultrasound, pitches so high they are unnoticed.
If you find it hard to get your combined sentence down to the number of suggested words, consider looking at your sentence’s VERBS. We tend to write with an especially heavy use of the “TO BE” verbs which bog sentences down. I would encourage you...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document