8.1 Work File
Detour for Effective Verbal Communication
Review the sentences below. Practice writing the sentences into "I" statements by using the "I" statement patterns provided below. After you feel confident you understand the concept of "I" statements, proceed to the assignment area and take the 3.1 Effective Verbal Communication online quiz. "I" Statement Patterns
I feel............when you..........because I........
I think.......when you....because I
I need....for you....because I
A. "You” had better not cheat on that test!" ("You" statement) B. I feel angry when you cheat because I have to work hard for my grades. ("I" statement)
1. "You always interrupt me!"
I feel angry when you interrupt me, because I am trying to pay attention in class.
2. "You won't listen to me, because you are always talking on the phone with her!" I think you are being disrespectful when you are always talking on the phone with her, because I am trying to talk to you but you don’t pay me any attention.
3. "You'd better straighten up or you'll be looking for someone else to date!" I feel mad when you act that way because I am trying to be nice about the things you do.
4. "You are always telling me that I never clean my room, but I do clean it!" I need for you to be patient because I try my best to clean my room.
5. "You never let me go out with my friends, Mom!"
I think you are being unreasonable when you won’t allow me to go with my friends, because I am not going to do anything wrong.
6. "You never seem to listen to me. I'm trying to tell you about my day in school and all you do is watch TV. Why can't you ever pay any attention to me?" I feel angry when you watch TV, because I am trying to tell you about my day and you will not listen.
7. "You are always late for practice."
I need for you to be on time, because I am tired of waiting on you.
8. "You must let me use the car Saturday night, Dad!"
I need to use the car, because I am trying to be at a Sweet 16.