1. The definition of _____ is a negative emotional state occurring in response to events that are perceived as taxing or exceeding a person's resources or ability to cope. A) a hassle B) stress C) a stressor D) appraisal
2. Which of the following is the BEST definition of stress? A) the demands that are made on you by other people B) deadlines, daily hassles, or inconveniences C) a negative emotional state caused by your perception that you are unable to cope with events or circumstances D) the mental processes that people use to make sense out of their environment
3. During their third year at college, Tammy and Timothy both lost their part-time jobs in the library due to funding cutbacks. Tammy was mildly disturbed, shrugged her shoulders, and said she'd soon get another job. Timothy was distraught and believed he might have to quit college. Their different reactions to the same stressful event emphasizes the importance of: A) their respective cognitive appraisals of the event. B) gender differences in response to stressors. C) cultural differences in response to stressors. D) quantifying major life events in terms of life change units.
4. When Chris missed his connecting flight due to bad weather, he became extremely upset and worried about the important meeting he was going to miss. In this scenario, the missed connection is an example of a _____, and his response to the missed connection is an example of _____. A) life event; the exhaustion stage of the general adaptation syndrome B) stressor; stress C) hassle; the stress contagion effect D) stress; stressor
5. The branch of psychology that studies how biological, behavioral, and social factors influence health, illness, medical treatment, and health-related behaviors is called: A) social psychology. B) biological psychology. C) health psychology. D) psychoneuroimmunology.
6. Dr. Gordon uses the biopsychosocial