Date: 17 Aug 2014
Assignment: SCI103 Phase 1 Lab Report
Title: Measuring pH Levels
Instructions: Enter the Virtual Lab, and conduct the experiments provided before going out into the virtual field for additional research. Please type your answers on this form. When your lab report is complete, submit it to the Submitted Assignments area of the Virtual Classroom.
Part I: Answer the following questions while in the Phase 1 lab environment.
Section 1: You will be testing 4 known solutions for pH levels using a standard wide-range indicator. Based off of the results obtained in the lab room, fill in the following table:
pH from Lab
Acid, Base or Neutral?
Solution Name (what was in the test tube?)
1. How many drops of wide range indicator will you use for each test, based on industry standards such as the LaMotte field test?
For each indicator only 1 drop.
Section 2: Now that you understand how to read pH measurements, go out into the field to gather pH samples from 3 different lakes to take back to the lab for testing, and answer the following question:
2. What was the pH level measured at Lake 1?
3. What was the pH level measured at Lake 2?
4. What was the pH level measured at Lake 3?
5. Which two lakes have the highest levels of acidity in their water?
Lake 1 and Lake 3
6. Based off of the information gathered at each lake, explain why your results may have turned out this way. What environmental phenomenon is at work here?
Lake 1 is located near a city that is highly populated and has many car factories. Lake 3 is close to a wildlife preserve and downwind of lake 1. The environmental phenomenon at work here is that there are acidic chemicals that are polluting the water. Also it could have a potential impact on the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document