General Purpose: To persuade
Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience to recycle.
Thesis: Everyone must make a stronger effort to recycle because it is beneficial in so many ways!
A. Everyone should try to help better the world we live in! B. We can do this by recycling. (story) I never recycled until I had an English teacher who educated my class about recycling. C. Everyone must make a stronger effort to recycle because it is beneficial in so many ways!
D. The reasons are:
1. Recycling benefits the environment
2. Recycling benefits the people and wild life
3. How to recycle in three steps
A. Recycling helps the environment in so many ways!
1. John and Amy Howard, founders of Carrot Ink, recycle to save energy. (example) Instead of creating just ink cartridges that are used up quickly, the Howards also manufacture energy-saving and money-saving replacement kits. 2. Recycling reduces pollution and preserves the condition of our environment. 3. Recycling preserves natural resources. (example) Instead of cutting down more trees to produce more paper, the trees can be saved by using old newspapers to make new newspapers. 4. Recycling saves the space on earth that is used for waste disposal.
(The second reason is…)
B. Recycling creates a better life for humans and animals! 1. Recycling protects and preserves the natural resources that we all need to live. (examples) trees, water, minerals, etc. 2. Plastic discards and e-waste are serious problems for marine wildlife. a. The EPA estimates that more than 100,000 marine mammals die each year from ingestion or entanglement of plastic debris. b. Discarded electronics contain hazardous materials such as mercury and cadmium, which can leak into water.
(A final reason you should recycle is that…)
C. Recycling includes three steps which create a continuous loop 1. Step one is collecting and processing.
c. There are several methods for collecting recyclables. (examples) curbside collection, drop-off centers, and deposit programs d. After items are collected, they are processed. (example) items are sorted and cleaned 2. Step two is manufacturing.
a. Common household items such as paper towels, laundry detergent bottles, and soft drink containers, are being manufactured from recyclables. b. Recycled glass and plastic has recently been used in asphalt, carpeting, and park benches. 3. Step three is purchasing new products that are made from recycled materials. a. By buying new products made from recycled materials you help close the recycling loop. b. When you go shopping, look for products that can be easily recycled and products that contain recycled materials. c. Some of these products are carpet, comic books, egg cartons, glass containers, nails, trashbags, etc.
1. Now that I have taught you the basics of recycling, everyone must put forth the effort to recycle. 2. Remember, recycling benefits the environment.
3. It also benefits humans and wildlife.
4. Lastly, recycling can be done in three steps.
5. So the next time you think about throwing your trash away, recycle it instead.