macbeth vs oedipus
A) Blame is based on the extent of involvement of the supernatural
a. Oedipus The King
1) The prophecies of the Supernatural are undeserved
Quote: Line 784789
2) The supernatural ordain the actions of Oedipus
Quote: Line 868880
3) The supernatural are to blame for the actions of Oedipus
Quote: Line 14901496 b. Macbeth
1) The prophecies of the Supernatural are deserved
2) The supernatural manipulate the mentality of Macbeth
3) Macbeth is to blame for his own actions
Quote: 1.7.1328 II.Body
A) The prophecies
1) (Oedipus The King) The prophecies of the supernatural are undeserved.
a) “An oracle came to Laius one fine day(I won’t say from Apollo himself but his underlings his priests) and it declared that doom would strike him down by the hands of a son, our son, to be born of our own flesh and blood.” (78489)
● Note that the prophecy never indicates that their son will have the intent to kill his father [Laius] (though the killing [Doom] nonetheless will occur), and that the seems to be no reason for the prophecy other than “one fine day”.
● This prophecy has been foreordained. It will occur despite any mortal efforts.
● Justice is fit for the actions committed. Oedipus now has no choice in committing patricide.
● There seemed no reason for what the prophecy prophecised (it was simply
“one fine day”)
● The fact that Oedipus has not yet committed anything to deserve his fate shows us how the gods’ word (the prophecy) has been unjustly set.
2) (Macbeth) The prophecies of the supernatural are deserved.
a) “All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, thane of Glamis! All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee,thane of Cawdor! All hail, Macbeth! Thou shalt be king hereafter!” (1.3.5052)
● Macbeth is killing the rebels (traitors of the kings). He is a great man for defending the throne by killing the rebels, he is also a good fighter (why he is able to fight the rebels) and loyal to the king