Lab Questions Unit 4
1. Who were the Poor Clares? Why is it somewhat surprising that they were accomplished musicians?
Poor Clares were nuns from a catholic church. It is surprising that they were skillful musicians because they secluded themselves in the church. So people didn’t know what they were doing. When they did come out it shocked everyone.
2. What is a chanson?
A chanson is a French song.
3. What is the song "Five Knacks for Ladies" about? What type of song is it?
The song is saying that no matter how valuble your assets are they are useless when it comes to honesty. This song is a poetic song it gives you a deep message through the piece.
4. Which of the songs was composed by Franciscus Bossinensis, or Francis of Bosnia?
The song that was created by him was Se Mei Per Maraviglia
5. What is a lute? What is the history of the lute? When was the lute used?
A Lute is a stringed instrument it was used from the Medieval to the Baroque eras. It was the most important instrument during the renaissance.
6. What is a harpsichord? Where were these instruments often found?
A harpsichord was a keyboard instrument with strings running horizontally. It is often found in a religious setting of an opera or solo performance.
7. What is a notation knife?
A notation knife is a knife with musical notes written on it whether on the handle as well as the blade.
8. Many of the articles on the include a piece of artwork from the Renaissance period. How are music and art related? Do you think that the music of the period is reflected in the art of the period? Why or why not?
Music is a form of art. Music and art are both used to express ones feelings and mood. Yes I do think that music reflected the art. The music could have been used to bring out what the composer or singer was feeling at the time. When writing or making music it cant be rushed you have to give it time.
9. Of the different music files that you've heard from the Renaissance period, which one do you like