George J Machange
Case Study 2 : T-shirt Design
I’m left with one semester of my MBA program and I am looking to paying back some hefty students loans. Even though I had to borrow money to complete the program, I thought it was a worthwhile investment. Nonetheless, I would like to repay some of my loans before graduating, if at all possible. I had recently taken entrepreneurial and small business classes and decided to put some of my knowledge to work. I suspect that a number of my fellow students would be willing to shell out a few bucks for school memorabilia. Since summer is right around the corner. I am pretty sure that I can make some money by selling t-shirts to students on campus. Informal conversations with people in the hall way have given me some ideas about popular t-shirt designs. So I narrowed down the possibilities to two. I have given sketches to a local t-shirt printing company, and they have made to prototype shirts. At this stage, I had no idea about the relative demand for the two t-shirts designs. If I am going to go through all the trouble and expenses of having the shirts made up, it would be useful to know which of the two shirts is more popular. The two shirts look something like this. The red shirt has a scoop neck and is made of 100 percent cotton. On the back of the shirt is a logo of the school. Under the logo the words “PARTY TIME at PU UNIVERSITY!” I suspect that this shirt will mostly appeal to the party-goers. The other shirt is more conservative. It is a white, button-placket, collared t-shirt made of 50 percent cotton and 50 percent synthetic materials. This shirt has a simple, and small version of the school logo and on the upper right-hand section of the front of the shirt. I decided to gauge the relative markets for this two t-shirts by running a quick survey. With permission from the student government, I had set up a table in the Student Union. The two prototype shirts are there for inspection,...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document