Please write down three key points for each theorist and give an example of how it is put into practice in your setting.
SKINNER – Operant Conditioning
1. Skinners theory is based on the idea that learning is a function of change in overt behaviour.
2. Changes in behaviuor are the result of an individual's response to events that occur in the environment.
3. Reinforcement is the key to Skinners theory. A reinforcer is anything that strengthens the desired response
Example in Setting: All the children have targets for when they are writing, it might be to use capital letters and finger spaces, when they achieve their target the get to colour in a picture and once they have done this six times they get another reward.
BANDURA – Social Learning Theory
1. People learn from one another, by watching and copying.
2. His theory encompasses attention, memory and motivation.
3. children need to be attentive to learn and be able to retain the info, the more they do something the better they will get and they need to be motivated
Example in Setting: To motivate the children to get to school on time, therefore be ready to start the day and not miss out on anything, all the children who achieve 100% attendance during a term get a special reward, this time it was a pen, other children see their friends getting the reward and then want to get into school on time so that they can get one too.
PIAGET – Cognitive Development
1. Believed that children have 4 stages of development. Sensorimotor, pre-operational, concrete operational & formal operational.
2. Also believed that children are actively involved in their own learning.
3. Piaget came to the conclusion that children were not less intelligent than adults, they simply think differently.
Example in Setting: During our art week the children have been painting. They can work out that although they only have a couple of the colours they