To establish and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment
1. Provide a summary of the legal requirements in your state regarding child abuse and neglect (including contact information for the appropriate agency) and also your program’s policy regarding your responsibility to report child abuse and neglect.
2. Include the current certificate of completion of a certified pediatric first-aid training course (that includes treatment for blocked airway and for providing rescue breathing for infants and young children). Certification must have been within the past 3 years.
3. Use the Internet, the public library, or your program’s professional library to obtain the name and contact information for an agency that supplies information on nutrition for children and/or nutrition education for families.
4. Provide a sample of your weekly plan that includes goals for children’s learning and development, brief descriptions of planned learning experiences, and also accommodations for children with special needs (whether for children you currently serve or may serve in the future).
COMPETENCY GOAL II
To advance physical and intellectual competence
5. Select 4 songs, fingerplays, word games, or poems that you can use to promote phonological awareness. Describe strategies to promote phonological awareness among children whose home language is other than English.
6. Describe 9 learning experiences for 3-, 4-, and 5-year old children (3 for 3-year olds, 3 for 4-year olds, 3 for 5-year olds). Each learning experience should promote physical, cognitive, and creative development. Describe the goals, materials, and teaching strategies used.
COMPETENCY GOAL III
To support social and emotional development and to provide positive guidance
7. Provide the titles, authors, publishers, copyright dates, and short summaries of 10 age-appropriate children’s books that you use to support development of children’s self-concept