IB English 1X
HAMLET STUDY QUESTIONS
1. The curtain opens at midnight in Denmark on the night watch. The reader knows this because Bernardo says “tis now struck twelve”. 2. Francisco is happy to see Bernardo because his watch was over, he was cold and sick at heart. 3. Marcellus begged Horatio to join the watch so that he can see the ghost himself. 4. The outcome of the fight between King Hamlet and Fortinbras was that Fortinbras lost important territory and his life. 5. There is a need for nightly watch on the palace because they may be vulnerable to an attack from King Fortinbras; Denmark is mourning the death of the King, Scene 2:
1. Claudius if the brother of the dead King Hamlet. King Hamlet was married to Queen Gertrude, who know is married to her brother in law Claudius. 2. In the letter Claudius is sending to the ailing King of Norway he is requesting to give King Fortinbras the power. 3. Laertes is Ophelia’s brother and son of Polonius, the councilor to King Claudius. He wishes to leave Denmark in order to go back to France and continue his education there. 4. Young Hamlet is grieving because he j lost his father. His mother also just remarried to his uncle which he views as incestry. Claudius and Gertrude treat his grief as shameful. Claudius calls his grief unmanly and the Queen thinks he should be celebrating the new marriage rather than be mourning. 5. The King is planning a celebration because of Queen Gertrude and him (Claudius) getting married. 6. Horatio is Hamlet’s friend and confidant. He reveals to Hamlet that he has seen a ghost that resembles his dead father.
1. Laertes cautions Ophelia against falling in love with Hamlet, who is, according to him, too far above her to be able to love her honorably. He is implying that Hamlet is only out for one thing from her and that he may love her now but that will change. 2. Polonius advices Laertes to stay out of fights, do not get involved with women, watch what you say, don’t lend out money, and above all remain true to himself. 3. Polonius, much like Laertes, cautions Ophelia against falling in love with Hamlet. He forbids her from associating with young Hamlet. Scene 4:
1. Hamlet strongly dislikes the drunken revelry. King Claudius is hosting a party due to the new marriage, trumpets are blasting which causes them to not know what time it is. This is a tradition which Hamlet doesn’t like because it causes other countries to think less of Denmark because of the rather foolish and outrageous partying. He refers to them as drunkards. 2. One of the most immediate feelings was that Hamlet wasn’t sure whether he was seeing his father’s spirit or if someone was trying to trick him. His loyalties are conflicted. On the other hand he wishes to believe his father. 3. Horatio doesn’t want Hamlet to follow the ghost because he is afraid that the ghost will either harm or kill Hamlet. Scene 5:
1. The Ghost tells Hamlet that Claudius poured poison into his ear and caused his death. 2. The Ghost wants Hamlet to seek revenge on Claudius and kill him. However, he wishes for Hamlet to spare his mother. 3. Hamlet makes Horatio and Marcellus swear that they will keep the incident with the ghost a secret because he is thinking of plotting some sort of revenge on Claudius.