Hand Held DMM
DC Power Supply
1. List the functions available on the DM717 hand held Digital Multimeter Meter (DMM).
Voltage (V), Current (A), (AC and DC), Frequency counter (Hz), Capacitor tester (F), Transistor tester (hFE), Audible Continuity Beeper
2. What is the function of the COM connection? What color lead is placed in this connection?
The COM connection is for the reference (ground) connection. The black lead is placed in this connection.
3. What is the function of the “VWmA” connection? What color lead is placed in this connection?
The VWmA connection is for the signal connection. The red lead is placed in this connection.
4. Pick 5 resistors at random.
Complete one row of the table below for each resistor.
a. Record the color of each band.
b. Using the color bands calculate the resistance and tolerance and record your calculated value.
c. Calculate and record the tolerance range for each resistor.
d. Measure and record the value of each resistor using a hand held DMM.
e. Indicate Y=yes or N=no if the measurement is within tolerance.
5. Examine the ELVIS prototyping environment and answer the questions listed below. If you don’t have access to an ELVIS machine, research it at http://www.ni.com/nielvis/.
a. What fixed DC voltage outputs are available?
+15 V, -15V, +5 V
b. What instruments are available with a prototyping environment such as ELVIS?
Digital multi-meter, oscilloscope, function generator, variable DC power supply, bode analyzer, dynamic signal analyzer, arbitrary waveform generator, digital reader, digital writer, impedance analyzer, two-wire current-voltage analyzer, and three-wire current-voltage analyzer.
c. How do you access them?
You can access the instruments by using the Instrument Launcher.
6. Examine the DC