Declining Fish Stock

Topics: Fish, Overfishing, Fishing Pages: 3 (919 words) Published: March 23, 2012
The Problem: Seeing the video on Declining Fish Stock VLR, expose the challenges between fishermen and environmental concerns. This video shows how fishing fleets have depleted the oceans of almost 90% of its big fish; therefore, claiming the ocean is not as resilient as it once was. The majority of the largest fish have already been pulled from the oceans, leaving only 10% of its remaining fish for Commercial fishermen to make a living. Most fishing fleets today are two to three times larger than they need to be to catch large fish and other seafood. Because of commercial fishing many fish are not able to reproduce fast enough to maintain their species. A manageable and sustainable plan will need to be implemented to avert these fish from completely disappearing from the oceans. The plan will need to be a partnership between fishermen, communities, governments, and environmentalists. Overfishing has considerably exhausted certain species in the ocean and they are now extinct. To think we can continue to hunt fish, with no major regulations or limits to feed billions of people is extreme. Since biodiversity do continue to decline, the aquatic surroundings will not be able to maintain our human consumption for seafood. This situation can still be reversible by working together with some basic ground rules. Because of the current conditions and the magnitude of the problem, replenishing the ocean may take a decade or perhaps even centuries to restore. In spite of everything there is a way we can have a healthy and productive oceans again. However, we do need to act now before the big fish are too far depleted to make a comeback. Action Plan: for environmentalists Forristall (2008) a study authored by scientists from the University of California at Santa Barbara and the University of Hawaii and published in the journal Science last month shows “catch share management systems” can reverse declining fish stocks. Catch share...

References: Axia College (2010) Declining Fish Stock VLR. Retrieved February 28, 2010 from week 6
Appendix F week 6 Student web source
Forristall, A. (2008) "Study offers overfishing solution:" Seafood Business Retrieved February 28, 2010 General Web.
Williams,M, The Transition in the Contribution of Living Aquatic Resources to Food Security, Research Institute, Washington, D.C. pp. 3, 24. Retrieved February 28, 2010 from
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Declining Fish Stock Essay
  • Overfishing: Fish Stocks Essay
  • Essay on Water Resource Plan Declining Fish Stock
  • Declining Fish Stock: over-Fishing the World's Oceans Essay
  • SCI 275 Declining Fish Stock Essay
  • Water Resource Plan: Declining Fish Stock Paper
  • Essay about Fish Farming
  • Fish Production Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free