Achondroplasia

Satisfactory Essays
Achondroplasia
Achondroplasia is a genetic disorder effecting bone growth. It is the most common form of short stature. The disorder causes your limbs to be disproportionately short. Achondroplasia can sometimes affect the brain and spinal cord if complications occur. Achondroplasia is inherited as a dominant trait but
Achondroplasia is inherited in an autosomal pattern and is a dominant trait, but 80% of people with this disorder is only on account of abnormal growth of the limbs. Meaning neither of the parents had, or were carriers of Achondroplasia.
Achondroplasia affects about 1 in every 40,000 births all over the world. It affects males and females equally and there are no racial preferences.

There is a 50% chance of the offspring of an affected parent and an unaffected parent inheriting this disorder. It’s hard to determine whether a child will be affected by this disease because it’s not always genetically inherited. Harmful substances or conditions, (i.e. alcohol, drugs, toxoplasmosis), during pregnancy can cause malfunction of the bone growth during development of the offspring.
Symptoms of Achondroplasia usually first appear around birth and development. Physical symptoms of achondroplasia are abnormal sized limbs. Most people with this disorder with have a long torso with shorts arms and legs. The intelligence and life span of individuals with achondroplasia is usually normal. A lot of people will have weak muscle tone. Achondroplasia commonly causes people to have breathing problems, in which breathing will stop or slow for a short period of time.
Daily physical training is required in some cases, to build up muscle and strengthen bones. Language training and tutoring is sometimes necessary in young children as they may not develop the right skills.
In my opinion, there is a fair amount of research that has gone into understanding achondroplasia. There’s a variety of daily management activities for people with this

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Satisfactory Essays

    Achondroplasia

    • 307 Words
    • 2 Pages

    Genetic Disorder Achondroplasia Cause of Disorder Achondroplasia is a single gene disorder that causes birth defects and results in short-limbed dwarfism. It is caused by mutations to the FGFR3 gene on chromosome 4. This gene prevents the growth of cartilage at the growth plate. FGFR3 encodes a protein called Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor 3. This protein is the site of action of a major growth factor responsible for lengthening bones. When this growth factor cannot act properly due to the…

    • 307 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Satisfactory Essays
  • Powerful Essays

    What is Achondroplasia?

    • 1626 Words
    • 7 Pages

    Achondroplasia Community College of Vermont Anatomy and Physiology I (BIO-2011-VR01) Spring 2013 By: Carrie A. Thibault Achondroplasia, meaning “without cartilage formation” is the medical term given to the most common form of dwarfism in the world. An estimated 1 in 15,000 to 1 in 40,000 births are to infants with achondroplasia. The mutation of the fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 gene (FGFR3) in chromosome 4 was first discovered in 1994 by Dr. John Wasmut of the University of California…

    • 1626 Words
    • 7 Pages
    Powerful Essays
  • Good Essays

    Achondroplasia Essay

    • 859 Words
    • 4 Pages

    Achondroplasia is best described as short-limbed dwarfism. This means that certain parts of the body are average sized, like the sternum, while others such as the legs are smaller than average. During early fetal development, cartilage is developed as the skeleton is. However, people born with Achondroplasia were unable to have their cartilage develop into bone before birth. The average heights for both males and females are under 4 feet 6 inches. However, people born with this disorder are usually…

    • 859 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    What Is Achondroplasia?

    • 540 Words
    • 3 Pages

    What is Achondroplasia? Commonly known as dwarfism. It is the most common type of short-limbed disproportionate dwarfism. The term achondroplasia was first used by Parrot in 1878. Although the term ‘achondroplasia’ literally means ‘without cartilage’, but in achondroplasia, the cartilage is formed but it does not get converted to bone especially, in the limbs. People with achondroplasia have short arms and legs, normal size trunk and a large head. Another condition similar to achondroplasia is hypochondroplasia…

    • 540 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Cause of the Disorder There are several potential causes of achondroplasia. The first is a genetic mutation on chromosome 4 of the fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3). Scientists do not know why this mutation occurs. The disorder can also be passed on from an affected parent. If one parent has the disorder they have a 50% chance of having an affected child. If both parents have the disorder they have a 50% chance of having an affected child, a 25% chance of having a normal child, and a 25%…

    • 517 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Better Essays

    St John 1 Mick St John April 8, 2013 Achondroplasia (Dwarfism) One in every 15,000 to 40,000 people have Achondroplasia. This means that over 466 million people on the planet have Achondroplasia. Achondroplasia is a genetic disorder that is a part of a group of disorders called chondrodystrophies or osteochondrodysplasias. Achondroplasia literally means "without cartilage formation". Cartilage is a strong and flexible tissue that makes up most of the skeleton during a child’s early development…

    • 2229 Words
    • 9 Pages
    Better Essays
  • Good Essays

    Achondroplasia In humans achondroplasia is the most common form of non-lethal skeletal dysplasia (short limb dwarfism), affecting over 250,000 people worldwide. The incidence is approximately one in 10,000-30,000 live births. (1-7) Achondroplasia is characterised by short stature (average height of 120-132cm (2,3)) with disproportionately shorter proximal limb bones, a long trunk with a narrow thorax, macrocephaly with frontal bossing and mid face hyperplasia. (1-4) People with achondroplasia also…

    • 809 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Good Essays

    Achondroplasia (Dwarfism) Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism, which occurs in about 1 of every 25,000 births (1). An individual with achondroplasia is very short in stature, averaging around 3 feet 8 inches, with very short stumpy limbs. Achondroplasia dwarfs also have a disproportionately large head with a bossing forehead. They have hyperextendibility in most of their joints, except their elbows, which cannot fully extend. Due to extensive fibular growth, the legs of achondroplasia…

    • 440 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Good Essays
  • Satisfactory Essays

    Achondroplasia is a disorder that affects bones. This is also known as Dwarfism. People with Achondroplasia have shorter arms and shorter legs. Due to this, it is possible that they can have difficulty bending their elbow. They could have bowed legs. They can also have smaller lungs but larger heads. It can be difficult for people to walk who have Achondroplasia. It is harder for people to breath because they have smaller lungs. It is possible for there to be water on the brain and for your spine…

    • 220 Words
    • 1 Page
    Satisfactory Essays
  • Good Essays

    Acondroplasia

    • 293 Words
    • 2 Pages

    Achondroplasia is a genetic bone growth disorder which is the most common cause of short-limbed dwarfism (Defendi). Affecting 1 in every 25,000 people, achondroplasia is caused by a mutation in the fibroblast growth factor receptor-3 gene (FGFR3), which is located on chromosome 4, causing abnormally short stature (Schoenstadt). Achondroplasia comes from the Greek word meaning “without cartilage formation” as the defect causes the body to be unable to change cartilage into bone, causing failure for…

    • 293 Words
    • 2 Pages
    Good Essays