Reading has many benefits. What are they?
Most of us have been exposed to reading since we were young but not many of us have the habit of reading for leisure.
- read only because they have to study for their examinations but reading is not only limited to study materials
- fun to read storybooks, novels, magazines, comics, newspapers and any other reading material that is of interest to us
a) Reading enhances our general knowledge.
- learn about various and cultures in other parts of the world - take us on a journey to these countries without traveling
- open our eyes to the world around us and teach us about the lives of other people in other countries
- also have the opportunity to learn more about things that are of interest to us through books
- example - interested in photography - read books and instructional guides on photography and photo-editing to improve our skills
- expose us to many things which we are not aware of
- National Geographic magazine often features strange animal behaviours and even unknown cultures in remote locations
b) Reading also trains our minds to be more imaginative.
- helps us to process new information faster and develop our ability to understand how other people think and feel
- more flexible in their thinking and are more open to new ideas - train our minds to think faster and more efficiently if we read more c) We can also improve our awareness of the current events worldwide by reading newspapers.
- knowing what is going on around us will also help us socialise with others by discussing the current issues with them
- need not solely rely to newspapers for news
- read real time news online via the Internet
- update the information on their websites every hour just to keep the readers updated with the latest events
d) Reading is important to help us improve our language proficiency. - exposing ourselves to the proper use of language
- improve our grammar and vocabulary
Please join StudyMode to read the full document