Background Information and Research
1. Paper chromatography is used to break down colors using water in order to see the way the colors separate.
Many doctors use it to test for alcohol in people’s blood.
Marine biologists use it to check for pollutants in the water.
Pharmacists use it to find out how much chemical is in a product, and what kinds.
3. All my references came from google.
The purpose of this lab is to test what colors are in certain colors, chromatology is used to separate the colors.
Candy with a colored coating, like Skittles® or M&Ms® (4 different colors)
Rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol
Coffee filters (2)
Tall glasses or plastic cups (2)
Foil or paper plate
Toothpicks or cotton swabs (4)
Clean pitcher or 2-liter bottle
1.I cut out the pieces of coffee filter.
2. I labeled each piece.
3. I put 4 drops of water on the plate then put a Skittle on each.
4. I removed the Skittles and colored each strip with a different color.
5. I filled two cups up, one with a saltwater mixture and one with rubbing alcohol to 1/4 inch.
6. I waited for 5 mins.
7. I took out the strips.
Data and observations:
The first part of this section discusses the observations and results of the lab as well as any mistakes that may have been made (or what measures were taken to try to avoid mistakes) and what improvements, if any, you can think of for the procedure for the next time the lab will be conducted.
I results of this test were good. They indicated that the...
Data and Observations
List your original predictions about the expected pigment components of each candy color.
Create an organized and labeled data table that lists the color and distance traveled of each pigment separated from each original candy color or ink type. Remember to have two separate sections or tables for the two solutions