5.02 The Rise of Realism- Questions
1. Define the term "Muckraker." Be sure to include the name of the person who created it. The definition of Muckrakers is that they were American journalists and novelists during the first ten years of the 1900s. They exposed and wrote about the corruption that was happening in the government and business. Theodore Roosevelt was the person who created this term.
2. Naturalism was a literary movement of the late 19th century that was an extension of Realism. What was the main focus of the Naturalistic writer? The main focus of a Naturalistic writer is to show Naturalists in their normal setting, while showing their interests and life style.
3. American Realists believed that humanity's freedom of choice was limited by the power of outside forces. How would this view differ from the perspective of the Romantic writer (think of someone like Emerson)? A Romantic writer would believe that humanity’s freedom of choice is not limited by the power of outside sources, but rather to the limitations of society.
4. In your opinion, based on what you have read, why would post Civil War, newly industrialized America be attracted to the Realistic movement? Realistic movement has to do with present problems and situations, and not in the future. Also after the Civil War, America was trying to fix present problems before even starting to look in the future. So, they would be attracted to the realistic movement because that was the way they were thinking at that time.
5. What is meant by the term "local color"? The term local color means any fiction and poetry that focuses on the customs, language, and other features of a specific region.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document