The Hobbit Study Questions
Top of Form
Scroll through the page to review your answers. The correct answer is highlighted in green. Your incorrect answers (if any) are highlighted in red. If you'd like to take the test over again, click the reset button at the end of the test. 1. What is the name of Bilbo’s hillside home?
(A) Bag End
(B) Crookhollow Bend
(C) Brandywine End
2. What happens to trolls when they are exposed to daylight? (A) They explode.
(B) Their strength is tripled.
(C) They turn to stone.
(D) They become invisible.
3. What is Gollum’s name for his ring?
4. Who kills Smaug?
5. Who is the master of Rivendell?
(B) Smaug(C) Gandalf
6. What effect does the magic ring have?
(A) It turns its wearer to stone.
(B) It makes its wearer invisible.
(C) It triples its wearer’s strength.
(D) It gives its wearer the power to harness lightning.
7. Where does Bilbo choose to live at the end of the novel?
(B) Lake Town
(C) Mirkwood(D) His old home at Hobbiton
8. At what university was Tolkien a professor?
9. What posthumously published book explains the mythology Tolkien created for Middle-Earth? (A) The Lord of the Rings
(B) Gawain and the Green Knight
(C) The Silmarillion
(D) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
10. What is the name of the evil wolflike creatures that support the goblins? (A) Morlocks(B) Wargs(C) Nazgul(D) Balfrogs
11. What two shapes can Beorn assume?
(A) Human and elk
(B) Bear and hawk
(C) Human and eagle
(D) Human and bear
12. Who stops Thorin from attacking Bilbo?
(B) Fili(C) Kili(D) Bofur
13. What evil sorcerer has taken up residence in Mirkwood?
(A) The Illusionist
(B) The Enchanter
(C) The Necromancer
(D) The Alchemist
14. What does Bilbo name his sword?
(A) Glamdring(B) Sting
15. What is the name of Gandalf’s sword?
(B) Orcrist(C) Dicer
16. Where is Smaug’s lair?
(A) Under the Misty Mountains
(B) Under the Lonely Mountain
(C) In the mines of Moria(D) Beneath the plains of Rohan
17. What kind of contest do Bilbo and Gollum hold?
18. What is Smaug’s weakness?
(A) A missing scale above his heart
(B) A fear of fire
(C) A tendency to become depressed in winter
(D) A fondness for children
19. What is happening to Bilbo’s possessions when he returns home? (A) They are being burned by goblins.
(B) They are being stolen.
(C) They are being used by his neighbors.
(D) They are being auctioned.
20. Who saves the party from the Wargs?
(A) The hawks
(B) The lions
(C) The moth men
(D) The eagles
21. Who was Thror?
(A) Thorin’s father
(B) Thorin’s grandfather
(C) Thorin’s uncle
(D) Bilbo’s father
22. What two sides of Bilbo’s family define much of his personality? (A) Baggins and Brandybuck(B) Brandybuck and Took
(C) Baggins and Took
(D) Dale and Brandybuck
23. Where does Bilbo hide the dwarves during their escape from the wood elves? (A) In barrels
(B) In wagons
(C) In chests
(D) Under the trolls’ invisibility spell
24. How old is Gandalf?
(D) Gandalf’s age is never given
25. What distinguishes a hobbit’s feet from human feet?
(A) They are larger.
(B) They smell like pork.
(C) They have clawed toes.
(D) They are woolly.Bottom of Form