• What motivational strategies does The Container Store use to keep employees productive and satisfied?
The Container Store principally uses the Maslow hierarchy of needs, this theory talks about of an arrangement of five basic needs (physiological, safety, social, esteem and self-actualization needs) that motivate behavior. (Jones & George, 2007, pp. 330).
1) Physiological Needs: The Container Store looks for satisfy this need in proving employees with a good wage so they can afford food, water and shelter.
2) Safety Needs: the company provides employees with a pleasant labor environment based on integrity, honesty and open communication to achieve an emotional secure.
3) Social Needs: in order to employees can feel themselves loved, accepted and part of the group, The Container Store tries to create a family atmosphere where everybody cares about each other.
4) Esteem Needs: employees need the recognition and appreciation for their performance in order to feel good with themselves, so the company do recognize their effort constantly.
5) Self-actualization Needs: The Container Stores provides empowerment to employees so they have the opportunity to think and decision making, with this the company tries to reach the full potential of their employees.
Employees at The Container Store are truly happy because the company looks for motivating and encouraging them, in this way everybody wins, because employees are really satisfied with their jobs and company achieve their goals.
• How does the program convey the opinions of the top management about their employees?
Basically, above all the theories they put in practice, The Container Store’s top and successful management is the outcome of a well-used empowerment, strong values, a cross training and open communication.
Furthermore, The Container Shop not only fulfills their employees’ needs, but also they do all the necessary to exceed employee’s expectations.
References: Jones, G.R. & George, J.M. (2007). Motivation, Essentials of the Contemporary Management (2nd.ed.), (pp. 330-331), New York: Mc Graw Hill.