The Connection Between Corporal Punishment in the Public School System and Our Nation’s Crime Rates.
All states will have crime but not all states allow corporal punishment in the public school system, currently twenty states have not prohibited the use of corporal punishment in the United States. Corporal Punishment has many definitions one is defined as physical punishment to the body; with children it is generally a spanking with a paddle on the buttocks, another definition “Is the infliction of physical pain in response to wrongdoing, typically by methodically striking a particular part of the offender's body with an implement such as a paddle, or with the open hand. Its purpose is to correct reform and deter the miscreant and to deter others from similar misconduct”. (Conservapedia-Corporal Punishment) If a person were to learn right from wrong at an early age and have a healthy respect for authority figures and fear the consequences for their actions society would be different. This does start in the home when the child is young and how they are disciplined in the public school system. Children seem to have little respect these days and the school systems are over run with unruly adolescence that grow into disrespectful adults. The crime rates go up and down every year and yet does anyone wonder if it is because children were not punished in the schools with corporal punishment and now they are a grown generation of reckless wild teens that turn into society’s undesirables. The point I am making is the connection between the lack of corporal punishment in the public school system and the climbing crime rates within our nation.
Out of the 88% that oppose corporal punishment their crime rates are significantly higher than those states do. (2010 Crime State Rankings) Does this mean there could be a connection between using the paddle and not using the paddle? The remaining 12% that use corporal punishment only have three states listed in the top twenty-five. Their crime rates are significantly lower than those who do not practice corporal punishment. Could this be because these criminals started out as children that did not have a fear of the consequences for their actions? Did the bad choices start as children, then progress into even worse choices as teenagers or were they older people in society in those states? The 12% that use corporal punishment, statistics show they have lower crime rates; therefore this proves by statistics that corporal punishment is deterring socially unacceptable behavior. This substantiates my claim that corporal punishment is beneficial in the public school system. These figures are hard to ignore do they mean, that if an authority figure so chooses to implement corporal punishment on the next generation they will grow up less likely to be criminal’s? It makes one wonder how far does this go up in the chain of society? Do the welfare and state programs feel the crunch of the criminal minds that have been produced by these states? Speculation or fact this is a very touchy yet stimulating topic. These statistics are correct, and the states that don’t practice it should start immediately to stop the flow of crime that results because of behavioral modifications. We know crime is a part of every society and has always been. We punish criminals for their crimes because society could not exist without crime. “Crime implies not only that the way remains open to necessary changes but that in certain cases it directly prepares these changes.” (Benokraitis.) Society learns and changes from criminals and their crimes. “According to Athenian law, Socrates was a criminal.” (Benokraitis.) “However, his crime, namely, the independence of his thought, rendered a service not only to humanity but to his country.” (Benokraitis.) Today in time laws have changed because of this crime. This supports the facts I have presented that corporal punishment...
Cited: “Corporal Punishment.” Conservamedia. 20 Oct. 2009 MediaWiki.Org 5 Feb.2011 http://www.conservapedia.com/Corporal_punishment
John J. Macionis and Nijole V. Benokraitis. SEEING OURSELVES Classic, Contemporary, and Cross-Cultural Readings in Sociology. Seventh Edition, copyright 2007 by Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. Page 156
The 2010 State Crime Rate and Rankings. 20 Apr. 2011
“Corporal Punishment” Wikipedia. 2 Feb. 2011 Wikimedia Foundation 5 Feb. 2011 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporal_punishment
National School Safety and Security Inc. School deaths and School Shootings 2008-2009
2011. 5 May. 2011 http://www.schoolsecurity.org/trends/school_violence08-09.html
Project No Spank. PTAVE. 23 Mar. 2011
Please join StudyMode to read the full document