Comprehensive Case Notes
Module(s) to Which the Case Relates
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Smith & Nephew - Innovex
Dairyland Seed Company
Businessland Computers, Inc.
Hospital Supply International
Denman Industrial Products (A)
Denman Industrial Products (B)
Dura-plast Inc. (A)
Dura-plast Inc. (B)
SMITH & NEPHEW - INNOVEX
A possible set of assignment questions:
1. Should a company such as Smith & Nephew, S.A. use a contract or outsourced sales team? What do you see as the main pros and cons?
2. What does Innovex contribute? What is the cost of such contributions? Do the services provided by Innovex have a good price/quality relationship from the point of view of Smith & Nephew?
3. How do you evaluate the results attained so far by Isabel in Galicia, and by Federico in Asturias?
4. What are the main courses of action available to Smith & Nephew in March 2000?
5. What decision criteria should be used by S&N managers?
6. In view of the above analysis, what specific action plan would you recommend? Why?
BUSINESSLAND COMPUTERS, INC.:
The case provides students with an understanding of the competitive selling environment where selling costs continue to rise, profits are declining, and many inefficiencies in the sales process continue.
To reveal to students how Sales & Marketing Automation (SMA) can improve upon each of the above problems.
The case provides sufficient data for the students to analyze how SMA can improve upon the selling activities as well as to determine the break-even point.
From the information provided, students can develop a new strategic selling plan.
What three products/services are sold by the RRC? Who is the decision maker for each of these products/services?
What are the benefits to the user of each of these three products/services?
Examine Mary Jones' efforts at Acme Computers, Bickford Publishing, and General Hospital. What are the similarities of each of these situations?
Should Mary Jones directly contact Tom Perry of Bickford Publishing? Why or why not?
Evaluate the General Hospital proposal.
What could Mary Jones have done differently to sell the CCC to General Hospital?
What actions should Tom Stein (Mary's sales manager) take regarding Mary Jones?
PRODUCT SALES STRATEGIES
1. The behavior of salespeople is a result of their interaction with the sales system. 2. Observation/joint sales calls are often necessary to diagnose problems. 3. The Sales Manager is an important element of the Sales System. 4. Changing behavior often requires an analysis of the entire sales system, and modification of multiple elements, not just one element like training.
What is the role of personal selling in developing sustained and profitable trade relations? 2.
What are the pros and cons of tying the Lea Meadows line to the Morgantown salesforce? 3.
What will be the impact on the sales effort if the Lea Meadows line is given to...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document