pingali venkaya

Topics: Flag of India, India, Tricolour Pages: 2 (1322 words) Published: October 22, 2014

Today I just read about the gentleman named Pingali Venkayya. I believe only 30% of us knows who is he ! Well., for the remaining 70%, I shall tell who he is. He is none other than the man who designed the Indian National Flag.  The Inspiring Personality, but unknown to most of us. Request you all to share this and make our friends & relatives aware ! Early life :Pingali Venkayya was born in Bhatlapenumarru, near Masulipatnam, the present day Machilipatnam of Andhra Pradesh, British India to Hanumantharayudu and Venkataratnamma. He belonged to a Telugu Brahmin Niyogi family. After finishing high school at Machlipatnam, he went to Colombo to complete his Senior Cambridge. Career :Venkayya was an accomplished person on many fronts. He was knowledgeable in geology (which he would later obtain a doctorate for) and agriculture. In Andhra Pradesh, this knowledge enabled him to spend most of his fortune experimenting with developing new crop cultivars and to become an authority on diamond mining, leading to him being popularly known as "Diamond Venkayya". He served in the British Indian army during the Anglo-Boer wars in South Africa. It was there he came in contact with Mahatma Gandhi and was influenced by his ideology. On returning to India, he worked as a railway guard and a government employee at Bellary before moving to Lahore, where he enrolled into the Anglo-Vedic college to study Urdu and Japanese. This versatile man was a prolific writer, a Japanese lecturer and a geophysicist. After finishing his primary education at Challapalli and school at the Hindu High School, Masulipatnam, he went to Colombo to complete his Senior Cambridge. Enthused by patriotic zeal, he enlisted himself for the Boer war at 19. While in Africa he met Gandhi, and their rapport lasted for more than half a century. On his return to India he worked as a railway guard at Bangalore and Madras and subsequently joined the government service as the plague officer at Bellary. His patriotic...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • What Is Pingali Venkaiah's Life? Essay
  • Pingali Venkayya Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free