In order to know the history of a nation’s spirit, one must read its literature. Brother Azurin defines Literature that it expresses the feelings of people to society, to the government, to his surroundings, to his Fellowmen and to his Divine Creator. Webster defines literature as anything that is printed, as long as it is related to the ideas and feelings of people, whether it is true, or just a product of one’s imagination. Salazar and Nazal says that true literature is a piece of written work which is undying.
4. In response to his everyday efforts to live, to be happy in his environment and, after struggles, to reach his Creator.
5. LITERARY STANDARDS Universality Artistry Intellectual Value Suggestiveness Spiritual Value Permanence Style
6. UNIVERSALITY Great literature is timeless and timely. Forever relevant, it appeals to one and all, anytime, anywhere, because it deals with elemental feelings, fundamental truths and universal conditions.
7. Artistry This is the quality that appeals to our sense of beauty.
8. Intellectual ValueA literary works stimulates thought. It enriches our mental life by making us realize fundamental truths about life and human nature.
9. Suggestiveness This is the quality associated with the emotional power of literature. Great literature moves us deeply and stirs our feeling and imagination, giving and evoking visions above and beyond the plane of ordinary life and experience.
10. Spiritual Value Literature elevates the spirit by bringing out moral values which makes a better persons. The capacity to inspire is part of the spiritual value of literature.