INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND
Ontela is a start-up company that provides technology infrastructure to wireless carriers that allows consumers to transfer the photos in their camera phones to any wireless device like a laptop or to any websites or email accounts. Currently, Ontela’s PicDeck technology has been certified by 30 operators including Verizon, T-Mobile, and Alltel on more than 100 handsets. It is also available preinstalled on devices from all five of the top global handset manufacturers. Ontela is headquartered in Seattle and is backed by Steamboat Ventures, Hunt Ventures, Voyager Capital, and Oak Investment Partners.
In the given case, Ontela needs to find a segment of customers to which it could target its new Pic deck technology. By choosing a particular segment, it could then develop its marketing strategy appropriately. They also needed to identify which particular segment offered the best opportunity for higher sales and thus increasing average revenue per user (ARPU). As the industry for mobile and wireless technology has grown over the previous years, particularly the data service technology which has seen an exponential growth, Ontela’s director Joe Levy sees an opportunity in which he needs to deliver a solid value proposition to the mobile wireless carriers.
Keeping the opportunity in mind segmentation research has been done and three major Customer personas have been identified namely: Persona 1: Sarah, the Parent.
Persona2: Steve, the young Professional.
Persona3: Regina, the Teen.
A Market research firm is hired by Joe Levy to perform quantitative data research to get a more precise understanding of the relative attractiveness of different customer segments. The research firm uses a random sampling approach to ensure that the respondent sample accurately represented nationwide wireless subscribers. It also used cluster analysis and asked demographic and media habit questions to the respondents.
1. Based on the three customer personas, which customer segment should Ontela target?
2. Create a positioning statement for your chosen target persona and identify the key themes that should emphasize in the messaging for the PicDeck service to this segment.
3. What are the risks of using qualitative personas to select target customer segments?
Based on the market survey, following questions came up:
1. Based on the cluster analysis data, which preference related variables are most useful for segmentation identification and evaluation? Which variables are least useful?
2. Create Descriptive Profiles of the customer for the customer segment represented by each cluster.
3. Use the profiling info to create a revised profile for each cluster. Is this profile different from what u guessed?
4. Which segment would you recommend as a target for PicDeck?
5. Develop a positioning statement for your selected customers with key benefits and how the service is differentiated.
6. Develop a positioning statement for wireless carriers that Ontela can use to communicate the value of PicDeck to.
7. Suggest a media plan that you feel would be most effective in promoting PicDeck service to your customer.
1.) Ontela’s Picdeck technology provides users with an easy, fast and reliable technology by which they can transfer photos from their mobile phones without the need for USB cables or Bluetooth.
2.) Ontela’s Picdeck technology will be helpful to those users who are not technology-savvy and those who are not used to using latest gadgets as it provides fast and easy to learn connectivity’s and methods.
3.) Ontela’s Picdeck technology can easily integrate with the mobile carriers thus providing worldwide connectivity to other mobile users who have data services in their mobile phones.
1.) Ontela’s Picdeck technology is relatively new...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document