Are we good?
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE HUMAN?
What does anthropology say about humans?
• Anthropologists study the origin, development, and customs of human beings • They may research many questions related to what it means to be human:
What is a human being? How are humans different from other living creatures?
Where did we come from? How did we originate and evolve?
How do we as humans work, think, feel, communicate, celebrate, fashion objects,and reshape our world?
How do we order our lives with our fellow human beings?
How do we deal with the unknown?• To seek answers, anthropologists may:
• Study and classify fossils and artifacts
• Analyze behaviors, languages, and other characteristics of cultural groups • Study genetics
• Science can only examine what is can classify, measure, and quantify
• Humans are much more, and we must go beyond science to understand them
What does the Bible say about humans? (Genesis 2.4b-24)
1. Humans are a creation of God: Human beings are the outcome of the desire of God. Whatever we are is a gift of God.
2. Humans are a mixture of earth and divine breath: Part of us is drawn to earth, and part to what lies beyond us.
3. Humans are good: God is good and declares the creature good.
4. Humans are male and female: Together, as male and female, we are the image ofGod.
The basic rights of all humans
• Humans are given the right of personhood in creation
• All humans are persons by virtue of their being created in God’s image and likeness
The Human Vocation: Life in God’s Spirit
1. Humans are created in the image and likeness of God: Humans are the only creatures who can know and love the Creator.
2. Humans are called to happiness and holiness: Humans have a desire for true happiness, which can only be found in God
3. Humans are rational and free: Our free will enables us to direct ourselves to our true good.
4. Humans are moral beings: Our actions are