Gattaca: Viewing Questions
01. What deception is Vincent (main character) trying to hard to maintain? He is trying to be Jerome, who has an elite genetic identity. This identity gives Vincent the credentials to work at GATTACA.
02. Describe four ways that Vincent maintains his genetic identity. a. He uses Jerome’s blood, urine, and hair. b. He uses plastic surgery to change his face; cuts and lengthens his legs. c. He scrubs off all loose skin and hair; uses Jerome’s skin cells. d. He gets contact lenses for perfect vision.
03. What does the term “Valid” mean in Vincent’s society? A valid is a person who is one of the genetic elite and has genes that are good enough to work in a space agency like GATTACA.
04. Where are the space missions taking supplies and people? The people and supplies are going to Titan (one of the moons of Saturn).
05. When Vincent was born, what did the nurse immediately do, and why? A blood sample was taken and analyzed, to that Vincent’s genetic profile could be ascertained. The nurse read out Vincent’s statistics, which included a 99% probably of a heart defect and a life expectancy of 30 years.
06. How are humans “expected” to reproduce? Humans are expected to go to their local geneticist for in vitro fertilization and embryo transplantation.
07. What motivates people to use genetic screening? People want the best genes for their children because genes determine job and social status. People also want to choose the gender, and other physical characteristics of their child. People want to eliminate diseases and other pre-disposing conditions in their children.
08. What is the fundamental difference between Vincent and his brother Anton? Vincent was born the natural way and his genetic make-up was left to chance. Anton was conceived