GATTACA Viewing Questions – Answer Key
01. What deception is Vincent (main character) trying to hard to maintain? He is trying to be Jerome, who has an elite genetic identity. This identity gives Vincent the credentials to work at GATTACA.
02. Describe four ways that Vincent maintains his genetic identity. a. He uses Jerome’s blood, urine, and hair.
b. He uses plastic surgery to change his face; cuts and lengthens his legs. c. He scrubs off all loose skin and hair; uses Jerome’s skin cells. d. He gets contact lenses for perfect vision.
03. What does the term “Valid” mean in Vincent’s society? A valid is a person who is one of the genetic elite and has genes that are good enough to work in a space agency like GATTACA.
04. Where are the space missions taking supplies and people? The people and supplies are going to Titan (one of the moons of Saturn).
05. When Vincent was born, what did the nurse immediately do, and why? A blood sample was taken and analyzed, to that Vincent’s genetic profile could be ascertained. The nurse read out Vincent’s statistics, which included a 99% probably of a heart defect and a life expectancy of 30 years.
06. How are humans “expected” to reproduce?
Humans are expected to go to their local geneticist for in vitro fertilization and embryo transplantation.
07. What motivates people to use genetic screening?
People want the best genes for their children because genes determine job and social status. People also want to choose the gender, and other physical characteristics of their child. People want to eliminate diseases and other pre-disposing conditions in their children.
08. What is the fundamental difference between Vincent and his brother Anton? Vincent was born the natural way and his genetic make-up was left to chance. Anton was conceived in a laboratory and his embryo was chosen as the best of both parents.
09. What in Vincent’s career dream?
Vincent wants to be a navigator on a spaceship to Titan.
10. What physical ailment (99% probability) prevents Vincent from ever “legally” attaining his dream?
Vincent has a heart defect and is only expected to live for 30 years.
11. What does Vincent mean when he says, “my real resume was in my cells?” Vincent’s DNA is in the nucleus of each of his cells and the DNA determines Vincent’s characteristics and is a listing of his characteristics, which is like a resume that lists a person’s qualifications and talents for employment.
12. GATTACA society is divided. What determines your social position? Your genes determine your social identity. If you are one of the genetic elite, then you can have a good job and get your children into the best schools. If you are a de- “gene”-erate, then you can only do menial jobs for work.
13. What is Jerome’s (middle name in Eugene) problem, even though he is one of the genetic elite?
Jerome is having mental difficulties because he expects to be the best. He got a silver medal in swimming and Jerome thinks he should have had the gold because he is genetically superior. Jerome walked out in front of a car as an attempt to commit suicide, but did not succeed. Jerome ended up in a wheel chair instead. Jerome has lost his dreams.
14. Why does Vincent need Jerome?
Vincent is using Jerome’s genetic identity of obtain a position as a space navigator at GATTACA. Vincent’s genes will not allow Vincent to work in GATTACA.
15. What does Vincent have to do to his legs?
Vincent’s legs are cut below the knee and put in braces that slowly lengthen Vincent’s legs, as the bones heal.
16. Why is Jerome’s urine sometime rejected by the machine? The machine detects the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document