I. What is the understanding of drug use and drug abuse?
A. Drug abuse is the use of illegal drugs or the misuse of prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
1. Many people use drugs in order to escape physical and emotional discomfort.
2. People who use and abuse illegal drugs are people who do not want to face life. Instead of learning how to deal with their stress and anxiety, they choose to try to hide by taking mind-altering substances. B. Millions of Americans also abuse legal prescriptions. 1. The misuse of drugs such as laxatives, for example, can have long- term effects. The overuse of laxatives over a period of time can damage the muscular action of the larger intestine (colon) 2. Hospital emergency rooms report that approximately the same percentage of drug emergencies is due to misuse of legal drugs as compared with the misuse of illegal drugs. 3. People using legal prescriptions love the side effects and become very addictive to their medications. II. Drugs have physical, psychological, and economically effects on you and your body.
A. Drug use has many physical implications.
1. The abuse of drugs damages important organs such as the heart, lungs, and the liver.
2. Drug abuse can also cause neurological damages, which cause altercations in body movement, loss of appetite, depression, and mood swings.
3. Physical effects are the most important, because these can even cause death. B. Drug use can affect one economically.
1. The cost of drug use can be very high. People spend billions of dollars on drugs. 2. Even the arrest for a one minute possession can result in high bail and court costs. 3. The cost of drugs fluctuates drastically according to...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document