* Fire Safety Essay After a recent fire at Seton Hall University in South Orange, NJ killed three students who did not respond to what they thought was a false alarm, officials at Oswego State University are being especially careful when it comes to the issue of fire safety. This semester there is a new policy regarding the confiscation of items considered being hazardous. The policy states that any items that are found and have the potential to cause a fire, such as candles, incense, and certain appliances like microwaves, and sandwich makers, will be confiscated and not returned to the students they were taken from. Under the old policy students were able to get the items back at the end of the year. Around 200 candles were taken from students in Onondaga Hall alone last year. According to the Oswego Fire Department, the dorms are built compartmentalized, which means that if the door to a room in which there is a fire is shut, the fire will be somewhat contained. This procedure will help the fire from spreading rapidly. The doors to all rooms are fire resistant. Although these safety features help increase students' chances of survival in the case of a tragedy, they cannot be relied on as the only life-saving precast * In order to guarantee everyone's safety, students need to be aware of their own roles in regard to fire safety regulations. I understand that I broke the law and broke the Oswego laws of fire safety and I could have been punished much more severe, and I appreciate your lenience towards my actions. Resident hall staff inspect all dorm rooms with prior notice at least once each semester. In 1998 there five occurrences in which a student pulled the fire alarm as a prank. Then close all windows, check room door, if it is hot call 5555 and tell public safety that you are trapped and cannot leave your room. Each residence hall conducts periodic fire drills so that residents can learn the proper evacuation procedures and escape...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document