TOEFL PRACTICE TEST 3
1. Listening Comprehension 2. Structure and Written Expression 3. Reading Comprehension
Time - approximately 35 minutes (including the reading of the directions for each part) In this section of the test, you will have an opportunity to demonstrate your ability to understand conversations and talks in English. There are three parts to this section, with special directions for each part. Answer all the questions on the basis of what is stated or implied by the speakers you hear. Do not take notes or write in your test book at any time. Do not turn the pages until you are told to do so. Part A Directions: In Part A you will hear short conversations between two people. After each conversation, you will hear a question about the conversation. The conversations and questions will not be repeated. After you hear a question, read the four possible answers in your test book and choose the best answer. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and fill in the space that corresponds to the letter of the answer you have chosen. Here is an example. On the recording, you will hear: (man) That exam was just awful. (woman) Oh, it could have been worse. (narrator) What does the woman mean? In your test book, you will read: (A) The exam was really awful. (B) It was the worst exam she had ever seen. (C) It couldn’t have been more difficult. (D) It wasn’t that hard. Sample Answer
You learn from the conversation that the man thought the exam was very difficult and that the woman disagreed with the man. The best answer to the question, “What does the woman mean?” is (D), “It wasn’t that hard.” Therefore, the correct choice is (D).
1. (A) She doesn’t want to go to class. (B) Art has her glasses. (C) The artist will begin the portrait tonight. (D) The course starts this evening.
2. (A) A waiter. (B) A baker. (C) A neighbor. (D) A tour guide. 3. (A) She’s in the center of the shop. (B) She went shopping for a new car. (C) She took her car to the store. (D) She was driving him crazy.
4. (A) He lied. (B) He’s upset. (C) He did not tell her his name. (D) He’s always truthful. 5. (A) He believes that the woman has found some good pieces. (B) He agrees that the prices are low. (C) He would like to have a chance to say something. (D) He thinks that the woman is wrong about the prices. 6. (A) Listen to him. (B) Pay the check. (C) Attend the meeting. (D) Speak more clearly. 7. (A) Not moving inside. (B) Playing in the rain. (C) Not going out. (D) Running hard. 8. (A) The courts have decided on a new judge. (B) The judge made himself available for questions. (C) The judge decided on the issue. (D) The decision about the judge was finally made. 9. (A) She was unable to attend the chemistry class. (B) She couldn’t find the answer to the problem. (C) Chemistry class just finished. (D) She has a problem with her chemistry teacher. 17. (A) A railroad conductor. (B) A bus driver. (C) A math teacher. (D) A mechanic.
10. (A) Stay home. (B) Watch television. (C) Buy a new house. (D) Go out. 11. (A) In a business office. (B) In an airplane. (C) In a gymnasium. (D) In a classroom. 12. (A) He is probably swimming. (B) He is poor. (C) Nobody knows where he is. (D) He should not be in the pool. 13. (A) Taking naps during the day. (B) Sleeping longer during the night. (C) Getting him tired out before sleeping. (D) Only sleeping a little at night. 14. (A) The chapter was difficult to read. (B) She didn’t even try to read the chapter. (C) She got through the chapter rather easily. (D) She will try to read the chapter later today. 15. (A) He’s working as a security guard. (B) His garden is successful. (C) There are a lot of stones in the garden. (D) He enjoys the rocking chair. 16. (A) Beautiful weather is impossible. (B) She thinks the wedding is beautiful. (C) She shares the man’s opinion. (D) The red dress is incredible. 17. (A) A...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document