1 In your own words, explain what the terms short term factors and long term factors mean.
Long-term means causes that had been building up over a long period of time, these included:
Treaty of Versailles, which was thought ‘’unfair’’ by Germany
Rise of Fascists groups in Europe
Short-term, means causes that occur in a very short amount of time:
Invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany
Pre-emptive strike on Pearl Harbor (America) by Japan
2. Read the section of your pack called ‘The Paris Peace Conference’. What treaty came out of this conference and what were the key terms imposed on Germany?
The Treaty of Versailles was imposed on Germany, The key terms stated were:
1. Germany should accept the blame for starting World War One
2. Germany had to pay £6,600 million for the damage caused by the war
3. Limitation of Germany's army to 100,000 men, with no tanks, no heavy artillery, no poison-gas supplies, no aircraft and no airships.
4. Land was taken away from Germany and given to other countries. Alliance with Austria was forbidden.
3. What did Japan achieve out of the Treaty? What was it unhappy about? Explain.
From the Treaty of Versailles Japan gained German bases in the Pacific. Japan was unhappy with this result because they also aimed at expanding into China.
4. What was the League of Nations and what current organisation took its place after WW2?
The League of Nations was an international organization who tried to make global peace. Unfortunately they were unable to prevent the outbreak of World War II. The United Nations took its place after WW2.