1. The Birling Family and Gerald Croft are having a celebratory dinner. 2. Just as Mr Birling is at his most confident; an inspector arrives to investigate a suicide. 3. Mr Birling reveals he sacked Eva Smith.
4. Sheila explains that she had Eva sacked from her next job and Milwards. 5. Gerald recognises the name Daisy Renton
6. Gerald admits that he kept Daisy as his mistress.
7. Mrs Birling tells the group that she denied help to a pregnant girl when she went to Mrs Birling’s charity organisation 8. Eric enters, just as we realise he is the father of the child. 9. Eric explains his relationship with the girl and how he stole money to help her. 10. The Inspector leaves.
11. The family gradually realises the Inspector could have been a fraud. 12. The celebratory mood is almost restored – then a phone call announces that an Inspector is on his way to investigate a girl’s suicide.
|about fifty, a rather cold woman and her husband's social superior |Mrs Birling | |"She was giving herself ridiculous airs" | | |she refuses to believe that she did anything wrong and doesn't accept responsibility for her part in Eva's death | | |He speaks carefully, weightily, and has a disconcerting habit of looking hard at the person he addresses before |Inspector | |actually speaking | | |"We are responsible for each other" | | |He works very systematically | | |In his early twenties, not quite at ease, half shy, half assertive...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document