By the end of this lesson you should be able to:
1. Understanding physics
* Explain what Physics is
* Recognize the Physics in everyday situations and natural phenomena
1.2 Understanding Base quantities and derived quantities
* Explain what base quantities and derived quantities are * List base quantities and yheir units
* List derived quantities and their units
* Express quantities using prefixes
* Express quantities using scientific notation
* Express derived quantities as well as their units in terms of base quantities and base units
* Solve problems involving conversion of units
1.3 Understanding scalar and vector quantities
* Define scalar and vector quantities
* Give examples of scalar and vector quantities
1.4 Measuring Physical quantities
* Measure physical quantities using appropriate instruments * Explain accuracy, consistency and sensitivity
* Explain types of experimental errors
* Use appropriate techniques to reduce errors
* Use the vernier calipers and micrometer screw gauge
1.5 Analyzing a scientific investigations
* Identify variables in a given situation
* Identify a question suitable for scientific investigation * Form a hypothesis
* Design and carry out a simple experiment to test the hypothesis * Record and present data in a suitable form
* Interpret data to draw a conclusion
* Write a report of the investigation.
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION TO PHYSICS
1. Physics is the branch of science concerned with the study of natural phenomena and properties of matter and energy.
2. Name several physics concepts related to daily live or natural phenomenon.
Choose from the list below :
Refraction of light
Gravitational force / radio wave
Reflection of light
|No. |Phenomena |Physics concepts | |1 |A straight stick seems bent in water. |Refraction of light | |2 |Satellites do not fall out of the sky. |Gravitational force | |3 |While a car is braking to a stop, you continue in motion, sliding along |Inertia | | |the seat in forward motion. | | |4 |More massive object (a stone) falls faster than less massive object (a |Air resistance | | |feather). | | |5 |People can communicate using mobile phones. |Electromagnetic wave// radio wave | |6 |We can see the image of an object in a mirror. |Reflection of light | |7 |A submarine can sail on the sea surface and under the sea. |Density // Upthrust | |8 |We can walk on a floor without falling. |Friction | |9 |A singer can scatter a glass by singing a certain note. |Resonance | |10 |A needle can be made to float on a surface of water. |Surface tension |
3. Fields of study in Physics.
|No. |Field of study |Explanation | |1 |Force and motion/ Mechanics...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document