Series of Quotes
▪ Schopenhaur, “The world is my representation.”
▪ 50th Gate Quotes:
- "[I]t was not the facts that were held under suspicion, but her credibility as a survivor. Unlike my father, she could never show her children the scars on her arm; hers were invisible, numbered in the days and years of her stolen childhood." - ‘Let their memory be bound up in the bond of life.’ - ‘So always remember it, and your children will remember it. They will survive, they will sing and they will dance.’ - ‘The final moments can never be retrieved by history.’ - ‘Freedom is not a happy ending. It is a flame that dances in remembrance, inside the blackness.’ - "My father is on pages forty-two and 109 of a Register of Jewish Survivors published by the Jewish Agency of Palestine in 1945 … He is listed as Josek Bekiermaszyn, officially arrested by SS on 28 October 1942, after which he was imprisoned in Starachowice, Auschwitz and Buchenwald." - “Does history remember more than memory?”
- “You read, you read. Books, books, everywhere. But do you know how it feels? - ‘For my father, the rivers have not thawed, until now, when he words break out from their glacial silence, releasing a torrent whose flow runs backward into his darkest nights.’ - ‘Perhaps it all ends when I return memory to them. Only then can I assume responsibility for their stories. First I must give in order to take.’ - ‘I wish I could forget what I remember.’
- ‘Dark, hiding in the cupboard it was all dark, while outside we could hear the footsteps, the shots, the screams.’ - ‘Of my mother’s world I knew next to nothing.’
- ‘Do you remember you told me you were the only child to survive Bolszowce? Well, it’s true. I mean, I believed you, but it’s really true.’ - ‘Does history remember more than memory?…that I never believed her, that I only recognise suffering in numbers and lists and not in the laments and pleas of a human being,...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document