1. How does Nick describe himself at the beginning of the novel? As tolerant, and smart
2. How does Nick describe Tom Buchanan? One of the most powerful ends that ever played football and sturdy, straw haired man with a rather hard mouth and supercilious manner.
3. Who is Jordan Baker? Daisy’s friend
4. What is Gatsby doing when Nick first sees him? Standing on the lawn starring towards the city at a single green light
1. Describe the ambiguity in Nick�s initial descriptions of Gatsby. That Mr. Gatsby is a mystery, he doesn’t know anything about him but he seen him once and then he disappeared.
2. How does the tone of Nick�s description of Tom reveal Nick�s feelings about Tom? That he thinks he is an arrogant man and isn’t very nice to people at all. Doesn’t like him.
3. How would you describe Daisy�s state of mind during dinner? What does she say and so that helps reveal her inner conflicts? She is stressed and overworked. Her husband has another woman in new York and she knows about it. She thinks at all women are fools. "It'll show you how I've gotten to feel about--things. Well, she was less than an hour old and Tom was God knows where. I woke up out of the ether with an utterly abandoned feeling and asked the nurse right away if it was a boy or a girl. She told me it was a girl, and so I turned my head away and wept. 'All right,' I said, 'I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool--that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."
4. Nick thinks that, given the state of their marriage, Daisy should leave Tom, but it is clear to him that she has no intention of doing so. What indication is there that Tom and Daisy are closely linked despite their marital difficulties? They have a daughter together and daisey loves tom.
5. What indications are there that the green light will have a powerful emotional significance to Gatsby? Mr. Gatsby was trembling while he was