STUDY GUIDE - Test #1 (Units 1-3, Chapters 1-9)
1. Explain the official ending of the American Revolution in 1783? 2. In 1754, identify Benjamin Franklin and his use of a political cartoon at the Albany Congress on “the present disunited state of the British Colonies”. 3. On the issue of women’s rights, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention did what? 4. Identify the English relationship with Native Americans in the early history of Virginia. 5. Which general became a “traitor” to the American cause and joined the British? 6. Describe the Whiskey Rebellion.
7. Explain the role of women in the American colonies throughout the colonial era. 8. Describe what changes occurred following the first people to appear in North America from the Asian continent. 9. Describe the impact of American naval privateers during the Revolution. 10. Generally, where were the largest concentrations of Loyalists during the Revolution? 11. During the American Revolution, black soldiers and sailors served what purpose? 12. Identify the major battles of the French and Indian War. 13. What did John Dickinson argue in his Letters of a Pennsylvania Farmer? 14. During the dispute over the Stamp Act, describe the activities of the Sons of Liberty. 15. Which explorer landed at Newfoundland in 1497 and gave England the basis for its original claim to the North American continent? 16. Which colonies were the most culturally diverse? Which were the least diverse? 17. In late December 1776 and early January of 1777, how was George Washington able to reverse American fortunes in the American Revolution? 18. Why did the British loose the Battle of New Orleans on January 8, 1815? 19. Describe the burning of Charles Town, the Battle of Bunker Hill (Breed’s Hill), and the state of the American army when George Washington arrived in Massachusetts in 1776. 20. Explain the primary issue of disagreement between northern and southern delegates at the Constitutional Convention in 1787? 21. Who was the French explorer who followed the Mississippi River all the way to the Gulf of Mexico and named it “Louisiana” in honor of Louis XIV? 22. List the primary components of the Coercive Acts of 1774. What caused Parliament to pass the law? How did the Colonies respond to the acts? 23. What did the Virginia Resolution and Kentucky Resolution both argue? 24. Why did James Madison and Thomas Jefferson object to the First National Bank? 25. Explain the “Headright System” adopted for the Virginia Colony. 26. Describe the “Boston Massacre” in March of 1770. What was the reaction of both the Americans? Who defended the British soldiers accused of killing five colonists? 27. Why did the Founders author the Declaration of Independence? How many sections make up the Declaration? List and describe each section. 28. What was the role of indentured servants in America?
29. Describe the most important “cash crop” in seventeenth-century in the following colonies: Virginia, South Carolina, and Pennsylvania. 30. How did the English acquire the colony of New York?
31. Why was New England more prone to trade and manufacturing during the colonial period? 32. What did the “Mayflower Compact” of 1620 provide for the Plymouth Colony? 33. What eventually happened to the struggling Virginia Company and its colony in 1624? 34. List and explain the basic beliefs of Puritans. Who was their leader in Boston in 1630? 35. Explain how the governments of Spain and France in the New World differed from that of English colonies during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. 36. How did the Protestant Reformation of the early 16th century affect the migration pattern of the English Colonies in the seventeenth century? 37. What was the result of King Philip’s War?
38. Who was George Whitefield? Describe his accomplishments in America. 39. What was the result of Bacon’s Rebellion in Virginia?
40. Describe the “Middle Passage” of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. 41. What was the primary argument made by Roger William’s regarding his mistrust of the purity of others? 42. Describe the Protestant Reformation in England.
43. The earliest attempts by the French to establish a permanent colony in North America occurred where? 44. Describe the relationship between the United States and Spain over navigation and trade in the decades following the end of the Revolution. 45. Besides keeping a journal of their expedition, Lewis and Clark also did what on their Corps of Discovery Expedition which proved valuable for future settlers to the West? 46. Analyze the causes and the result of the Marbury v. Madison (1803) case. 47. Describe the causes of the “Great Awakening” in the colonies during the 1720s through 1740s. 48. What was the result of the defeat of the Spanish Armada on English exploration and early colonization? 49. Be able to identify the three regions in British North America: New England, Middle, and Southern colonies. 50. What was Hamilton’s role in the “assumption” of the state debt? Why did he want to assume state debt? 51. How did diseases, introduced by Europeans into the New World, affect Indian groups throughout the Americas? 52. Describe the life of Benjamin Franklin and list major accomplishments. 53. Explain what happened to the Roanoke Colony.
54. In 1793, how did the United States respond to the war between Britain and France? 55. Which regional group of colonies offered the most religious toleration? 56. Describe the sermons of Jonathan Edwards. What impact did it have in America? 57. In English America, who was responsible for education throughout the colonial period? 58. Explain how the “Enlightenment” led to the growth of Deism in Europe and the American colonies. 59. What role did the United States navy play in the War of 1812? 60. How did John Smith save the colony of Jamestown from ultimate destruction in 1608? 61. Describe the structure of government as proposed in the “Virginia Plan” and “New Jersey Plan” of the Constitutional Convention. 62. Which Founder was asked by his wife to “remember the ladies”? 63. List the attendees to the Constitutional Convention and those major Founders not attending. 64. What was the original purpose of the Convention? Describe what special procedures were put into place at the Convention which made the meeting secretive. 65. Who stated, “The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants”? What does this quote mean? 66. Following the Constitutional Convention, many Antifederalists leaders were against the ratification of the document. Why? How did Federalists finally get the moderate Antifederalists to agree to the new Constitution? 67. Define and list some of the following powers: delegated, concurrent, and reserved. 68. What city and colony, founded in 1733, was designed to serve as the administrative capital of an “experimental” colony? 69. List primary leaders of both the Antifederalists and Federalists during the ratification process of the newly drafted Constitution. 70. What was the direct result of the 1735 trial of Peter Zenger? 71. Identify the reasons behind France’s selling of the Louisiana Territory annexed by the United States in 1803. Why was President Thomas Jefferson accused of being hypocritical when supporting the actual Senate approval of his treaty with France? 72. Describe the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution. What rights were protected by the amendment? 73. As the first Secretary of the Treasury, what was the primary goal for the nation under Alexander Hamilton? List two documents he wrote in support of his ideas on finances and trade. 74. What were the causes and results of Shay’s Rebellion in 1786? 75. Describe the “Great Compromise” and “Three-fifths Compromise” as they were being debated at the Convention in 1787. 76. What was the result of the Judiciary Act of 1801?
77. How was Thomas Jefferson elected to the presidency in 1800? Why was it considered a “revolution”? 78. By June of 1812, the greatest support for the declaration of war against Britain came from which region of the United States? Who opposed the war? Name two “War Hawks” from the period. 79. According to the Article II of the Constitution, what are some key powers the President? 80. What does the phrase status quo ante bellum mean and which war did it affect the treaty discussions? 81. The emergence of political parties in the United States reflected the philosophies of which two members of Washington’s Cabinet? 82. Under the new Constitution, how were the members of the Senate chosen? 83. Which president was responsible for the establishment of the United States Navy? 84. Describe the primary reasons for both the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798. 85. What was the original purpose of the Constitutional Convention? 86. What were the causes of the United States declaring war in 1812?