Know how to communicate the organisation’s vision and strategy to the team
1.1 Explain the importance of the team having a common sense of purpose that supports the overall vision and strategy of the organisation (16 marks)
A shared sense of purpose in an organisation is important as it unites employees working in an organisation and can also extend to external stakeholders. An organisations shared sense of purpose represents its identity and therefore the services it provides and the persons and organisations that benefit from these services.
A shared sense of purpose is important because it
• Ensures employees from across an organisation are working towards common goals
• Ensures employees are motivated and engaged to achieve these goals
• Encourages employees to feel committed to an organisation
• Causes employees to find their work meaningful and motivates them to put in extra discretionary effort
• Makes employees more satisfied with their working conditions and pay and makes employees motivated to stay within an organisation.
• Provides employees with a context within which they can understand their role within the team and how their contribution plays a part in that team.
• Enables employees to work collaboratively to achieve a goal rather than choosing their own technique or method potentially at the expense of the organisation or other employees.
• Allows employees to share in the success of an organisation motivating them to succeed both individually and within a team.
1.2 Explain the role that communication plays in establishing a common sense of purpose (16 marks)
Communication plays a key role in establishing and maintaining a common sense of purpose in an organisation. The nature, frequency, style and person communicating all contribute to establishing a sense of purpose.
What, when, why and to whom are all important factors effecting the success of