A. PROJECT INFORMATION
Enhanced Training on Upland Rice Production
Total Project Cost
Sibahay, Boston, Davao Oriental
Sibahay Farmers’ Cooperative (SIFACO)
Duration of the Project
October 2013–March 2014
B. PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Background and Rationale
The Municipality of Boston is identified as one of the conflict affected area in the province of Davao Oriental. This municipality was badly devastated by the Super Typhoon Bopha. Barangay Sibahay is situated along the National Highway connecting the Municipality of Cateel and Boston and fronting the Pacific Ocean. Last December 4, 2012 typhoon Pablo left the barangay a picture total devastation, almost all houses and the crops – coconut trees, fruit trees, banana, abaca and other commercial trees and cash crops are damaged. Fishermen’s boat and other fishing gears are also destroyed.
Today, barangay has a population of 1,407 with the total household of 394 and is picture of injured and fallen soldier trying to recover and finish the war and win against poverty and devastation of typhoon Pablo. Majority of the farmer households are all engaged in backyard vegetable production. Some farmers are to plant permanent crops like coconut, cacao and banana other than cash crops like cassava, peanut, mongo and corn.
During the Barangay consultation, majority of the barangay residents present voted to engage in upland rice production. Majority of the residents are previously engaged in this livelihood activity, specifically during the time when their coconut and banana were still small to cover the area. High demand for upland organic rice products in the market today is one of the reasons they consider.
Upland Rice Production is one of the basic sources of livelihood of the local people, especially the Indigenous People in the community, however it needs improvement on technology and production support. This project proposal will contribute to the attainment of lasting peace and development of the Barangay since it will reduce poverty and vulnerability to agitation and propaganda. Likewise, the project will also improve local governance and empower the community that will strengthen their capacities to address issues of conflict and peace.
The project will ultimately:
1. Help reduce poverty, malnutrition and unemployment problems in the locality; 2. Increase upland rice production and increase income of individual household of the said barangay; and 3. To developed sustainable institutional collaboration and support in the planning and implementation of community - based seed system for traditional upland rice varieties. 4. Upland rice production also make use of the extra time of every individual into a productive one instead going to drinking sessions, gambling, taking illegal drugs, etc. 3
1. Increased production of Upland rice.
2. Increased income of individual household.
3. Accelerate the adaptation and integration of Upland rice Production into the farming systems of participating upland farming technologies. 4
The beneficiaries of the project are the members of the Sibahay Farmers’ Cooperative (SIFACO). Fifty (50) household farmer members will first benefit from the project; the succeeding upland rice production activities will include the remaining interested household farmer members. 5
The following are the activities during the project implementation: 1. Seminar on Upland rice production;
2. Individual farmer land preparation of one hectare each;
3. Distribution of seeds, herbicide, fertilizer, insecticide, sprayer, and farm tools, etc.; 4. SIFACO to conduct continuous training especially on organic farming technology, care and maintenance,...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document