• The term merchandising means simply to
buy and sell commodities for a profit.
• The Process of Planning, developing and
presenting product lines for identified
target markets with regard to pricing,
assorting, styling and timing is called
• Business requires talented executives with
a keen sense of market place, finely
honed management skills that enable
them to make the critical decisions needed
to keep a company profitable.
The driving and central force in todays
apparel business is
Who is a Merchandiser??
• Merchandiser is a person who get converted
inspiration into design , use technology to
conceptualize and address the planning ,
production, promotion and distribution of
products in the fashion industry to meet the
consumer needs and demands.
• P.H Nystrom: “ Careful Planning, Capable
Styling and Production or selecting and Buying,
and effective selling”
THE CARDINAL SIN OF
MERCHANDISING IS TO
BE OUT OF TREND!!
3 Major Components
1) Line planning: 6 major activities:
• Evaluate merchandise mix
• Forecast merchandise offerings
• Plan Merchandise budget,
• Plan Merchandise assortments,
• Determine deliveries and allocation
• Analyze and update merchandise Plans.
• By selecting finished goods from
• Internal product Development.
• Product Development and Sourcing.
• Internal presentation
• To final Buyer (in exports/retailer)
Role Of merchandiser
Role of merchandiser : Retail &
• Retail fashion Merchandising is buying of
apparel products and selling them to
ultimate consumer for profit.
• Apparel Merchandising (in manufacturing
setup) involves conceptualization,
development, procurement of raw
material, sourcing and delivery to retailers.
Work areas of Merchandiser
Interface with Sales
Work areas of Product
• Must have Intimate and comprehensive
knowledge of company’s target.
• Should have knowledge of consumer
• Regular meetings with retailers or store heads to
know the pulse
• Use Focus Group.
• Shopping the competition
Planning and Control
• Planning effectively and maintaining
control . V. Imp.
• Strategic Planning
• Ensure timely line planning
• Intra company activities co-ordination.
• Tools used for planning and control:
– Line Plan
• Through understanding of manufacturing
• Should be good with figures
– Shld be capable of calculating the cost of
producing each garment, determining selling
prices, analyzing time and action calanders
that are used to follow the status of fab. and
• Merchandiser is directly responsible for
• Calculations based on past are the guide
for the present.
Interfacing with sales and
• Line Planning, style selection and line
presentation are closely attached to sales
• Important to be aware of the sales and
Interfacing with manufacturing
• To understand the manufacturing process
of the style.
• Define garment specifications carefully.:
list of raw materials,patterns, cutting...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document