Prose and Poetry II syllabus

Topics: Literary theory, Poetry, Literary criticism Pages: 9 (2028 words) Published: April 21, 2014


Title of the Course: IED 373 British Poetry and Prose II
Instructor: Associate Prof Dr. Huriye Reis
Year and Term: 2011-2012 Autumn
Class Hours: Wednesday 13:00-15:45 (ZNG);

I.Aim and Contents: This course aims to present the Renaissance and the seventeenth -century English literature, the major conventions, themes and writers of these periods through a study of selected poems and prose works.

II.Course Outline

Week I and II: (5-12 October 2011)A historical, cultural and literary introduction to the Renaissance and the 17th century in England. Major developments and changes: Humanism, Reformation, the Elizabethan world view and literary conventions, and the change in the 17th century. Thomas More, from Utopia.

Sir Thomas Hoby, from Castiglione’s The Courtier
Roger Ascham, from the SchoolMaster
Week III: The sonnet tradition, Selected sonnets by Wyatt and Surrey, Edmund Spenser, Sir Philip Sidney and William Shakespeare. Week IV: Sonnet tradition continued, Renaissance lyrics and replies, Christopher Marlowe, Sir Walter Raleigh Week V : Renaissance ideas about poetry, the pastoral tradition and the mythological-erotic convention Week VI: November 9 2011, No class, Bayram holiday)

Week VII: Sidney, “An Apology for Poetry”, Spenser, From Shapheardes Calendar, October Eclogue, Christopher Marlowe, from Hero and Leander Week VIII: MIDTERM I (23 November 2011) Seventeenth-century poetry, modes and conventions Week IX: Cavalier Poetry and Ben Jonson “Queen and Huntress,” Song to Celia, “On My First Daughter,” On My First Son”, Andrew Marvell ”To His Coy Misstress”, Robert Herrick Week X: Metaphysical Poetry: John Donne, love poems,

Week XI: John Donne, religious sonnets
Week XII: George Herbert , “ Easter Wings”, “The Altar”, “The Collar”, “Time”,

Week XIII: (28 December 2011) MIDTERM II

Week XIV: John Milton, “Samson Agonistes”,
From Paradise Lost, Book I
III.Textbook:: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol I.

IV: Method of Instruction: There will be introductory lectures on the historical and literary background of the Renaissance and the seventeenth century. The classes will mainly be conducted through textual analysis and critical reading of the poems and other works of the periods covered. Students should read the poems and texts required by the course as as the secondary material as they are expected to display a considerable knowledge of the social and literary background.

V. Requirements: Attendance is obligatory. More than 11 (eleven) hours of absence will result in F1. Students should obtain and read the texts assigned for the class discussions.

VI.Assessment: In the grading of examination papers up to 25 % of the total mark will be taken off for grammatical and writing mistakes. Assessment will be made on two mid-term examinations. These two exams will carry 60 % of the total grade. The final examination will carry the remaining 40 %. Please note that you need to get 50 in the final exam (50 % of the total of the passing grade) in order to pass, regardless of your semester (midterm) average. Your attendance record and short assignments you will be asked to do will be used in the final assessment of your passing grade. Students should demonstrate that they have read the relevant secondary material and have done independent research. Students should present their arguments clearly and should display the ability to think independently. They should also demonstrate a good knowledge of the poets and the poems that the course covers.

VII. Relevant reading material

Isabel Rivers’ Classical and Christian Ideas in English Renaissance Poetry: A Student’s Guide (London: Routledge, 1979, rep 1992) is very good for a clear and precise introduction to Renaissance literature and its sources and background.

Read also
Joanna, Martindale (ed)...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Which Is Better Poetry and Prose?
  • Essay on Alliteration in Poetry and Prose
  • Syllabus Essay
  • Syllabus Essay
  • In poetry Essay
  • Syllabus Essay
  • Syllabus Essay
  • Syllabus Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free