Please finish the exam within 120 minutes. It is open book and open notes.
Part I Multiple Choices (Please use RED color to mark your answers):
Question 1 to 20: Each is 3 points; Question 21 to 30: Each is 2 points.
1. The four key attributes of strategic management include the idea that
A. Strategy must be directed toward overall organizational goals and objectives
B. Strategy must be focused on long-term objectives
C. Strategy must be focused on one specific area of an organization
D. Strategy must focus on competitor strengths
2. According to Henry Mintzberg, the realized strategies of a firm
A. Are a combination of deliberate and emergent strategies
B. Are a combination of deliberate and differentiation strategies
C. Must be based on a company's strategic plan
D. Must be kept confidential for competitive reasons
3. Southwest airline combines several technologies (e.g., computerizing ticketing, scheduling, point-to-point system) to attain unparalleled success in the airline industry.
This is an example of their
A. Tangible resources
B. Intangible resources
C. Organizational capabilities
D. Strong primary activities
4. A competitive advantage based on inimitability can be sustained for at least some time if it has the following characteristics.
A. Physical uniqueness, path dependency, causal ambiguity, and social complexity
B. Psychographic uniqueness, path dependency, causal ambiguity, and substitutability
C. Rarity, path dependency, causal ambiguity, and social substitutability
D. Geographic uniqueness, cause dependency, social ambiguity, and path complexity
5. A crash MBA program (one-year) cannot replicate a successful learning environment developed by a traditional MBA program (two-year) when students’ interactions cumulate. This is an example of
A. Social complexity
B. Path dependency
C. Physical uniqueness
D. Causal ambiguity