1. The term for a sound that has one definite frequency is *
2. When notes sounded together tend to be grating or unpleasant, the resulting sound is called
3. A group of notes played in succession with a perceivable "shape" *
is called a melody
4. Dynamics in music refer to its
consonance or dissonance
loudness or softness
5. Which of the following are strong sensations felt as related to a specific stimulus?
6. A musical structure in which the same melody is repeated over and over again with different treatment and without intervening new materials is a
theme and variations
7. A structure in which the melody is stated, then repeated with the first statement being played as background, as in "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," is a *
8. "Allegro" means
9. The origins of which of the following are traced to the early seventeenth century, when dancers performed interludes between scenes of an opera?
10. The pretext of a dance can be a
state of mind
all of the above
11. Which of the following is a characteristic of social dance?
It often has a religious purpose.
It often has a practical purpose.
It is a form of recreation.
It is more stylized and less openly energetic than the court dance.
12. Who of the following has been particularly successful in adapting jazz of the 1920s and 1930s to dance?
Mark Morris Dance Group
13. Which of the following is true about Isadora Duncan?
She felt that the emphasis of ballet should be on the movement of the arms and legs.
The dances she developed were built mainly on narrative pretexts.
She rebelled against the stylization of ballet practiced by the early Greek dancers. *
She often danced in bare feet.
14. The origin of the ballet goes back to the
early seventeenth century
15. Which of the following is true about Swan Lake?
It was highly unconventional for the Romantic Age in which it was conceived. *
It had archetypal overtones.
It had no pretext.
Its music was composed by Stravinksy.
16. Serge Eisenstein directed
Birth of a Nation
The Great Train Robbery
17. During the silent film years, films usually were shown
in a theater that was completely silent
to the accompaniment of carefully coordinated music
while a narrator contributed a running explanation
with the dialogue being read by live actors in the theater
18. Who puts the shots in order after filming of a movie is finished?
19. Which of the following is a sequence of images dramatically connected but physically disconnected?
20. According to the text, escapism in viewing film is a kind of
21. According to the text, the best participation with a film
entertains the viewer
encourages the viewer to identify with the leading character
enables the viewer to evaluate the filmic techniques
reveals or informs the viewer about himself or herself
22. Which is a shot in which the camera moves forward, backward, or sidewise?
23. According to the text, what makes The Godfather an impressive achievement? ...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document