University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
College of Business- Department of Finance
Finance 590 - ERM
Case Study Number Two - United Grain Growers (UGG) Assignment Due Date: April 5, 2005
Read “Enterprise Risk Management: The Case of United Grain Growers” by Scott Harrington, Greg Niehaus and Kenneth Risko, Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Winter 2002.
Refer to Table 27.1 on page 594 of Risk Management and Insurance, Second Edition, by Scott Harrington and Greg Niehaus, McGraw Hill-Irwin, 2004.
Questions for analysis and discussion:
1. Use the data in Table 27.1 to calculate the correlation coefficients between industry grain shipments and UGG’s grain shipments and between crop yields and UGG’s grain shipments.
2. Given that any method of reducing the weather exposure will be costly, what are the benefits to UCG’s diversified owners from reducing the weather risk? In other words, what characteristics of UCG’s operations and strategy would make risk reduction potentially beneficial to UCG’s owners who hold well-diversified portfolios?
3. Should UCG’s rather unique ownership structure influence the decision to reduce the weather risk exposure?
4. How could the parties structure a weather derivative to cover the exposure? More specifically, what would be the underlying index? Would the contract be a put, call or forward? Would they buy or sell? Would a separate contract for each province and/or each crop be needed?
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of integrating grain volume coverage with firm’s other insurance coverages? Instead of having separate policies with separate deductibles and limits for the various exposures what are the advantages and disadvantages of bundling all of the firm’s exposures in one policy with one deductible and one limit?
6. Ignoring the cost differences, are there any advantages of the insurance contract approach versus the use of weather...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document